Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

Today I turned in my paper work for retirement from teaching. It was a bittersweet moment. I remember being asked many years ago what I wanted to be and my answer was “a retired teacher.” This moment came far too quickly. I have been an elementary teacher for thirty plus years. I am only receiving credit for 25 of those years as I taught in a private school for 7 years after first moving to Arlington. I have loved (almost) each moment and still take joy in going to school each day. But it is time to move on as God has called me to another place and into a different ministry.

1 Peter 4: 8-10 “Above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.” Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”

The first lines of my meditation tonight really nailed me. They speak of deadlines and how we treat them. A pastor shared that his staff doesn’t do what is expected, but what is inspected.

The teaching staff at our school has been asked by our principal and vice principal to create an extensive data folder on each of our students. This folder is to hold all of the test data and notes on parent conferences, report cards etc…All of the folders came due today. I did not complete this task until around 4:30 this afternoon. For each of us who create these folders this is a huge amount of added work to our already overflowing plates. Most of us were cramming today to hurriedly complete these folders to meet the 3:00 deadline. The information in these folders is accurate, but the quality of these folders may show that we just “got the job done.”

Scripture tells us that at some point history is going to have a deadline. The Apostle Peter tells us in 1 Peter that we should do things in the light of the end of all things. Most importantly we should have “fervent love for one another.” To show fervent love to one another means to stretch out and love each other beyond our comfort zone. We should be radically hospitable and lavish God’s love on those we know and those we do not know “as if they were our brothers and sisters.”

The Christian message requires God’s help in delivery each day. We cannot wait until it is too late to deliver this message for we do not know when our last opportunity to share God’s message of love might be. In order to deliver this divine message of love and hope we must live it and express God’s grace in our lives. When we love like God loves us we share His blessings with others as gifts from God.

Let us pray:
Father, let me “stretch out” in love and hospitality as we live in Your grace.” Amen

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift one another up in prayer each day. Please continue to keep the Gohlke family in your prayers. The service for Duane Gohlke is Friday at 2:00 in Sherman. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: