Monday, November 29, 2010

Blessed first Sunday of Advent!

Luke 1: 19 “Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was He who sent me to bring you this good news.”

Zechariah was the husband of Elizabeth. They were aging and had never had children. Zechariah was a priest in the temple when he had this encounter with the Angel, Gabriel.

Have you ever noticed how angels show up to deliver messages from God? I’ll just bet an angel’s favorite message to deliver is news of a baby. An angel delivered the news of the coming of Isaac to Abraham and Sarah (a woman past the age of child bearing years). An angel delivered the message of the coming of John to Zechariah and Elizabeth (also past child bearing years). Then an angel delivered the message of the coming of Jesus to Mary (a woman barely into her child bearing years). All three were miracle babies. Sarah laughed, Mary pondered these things in her heart, Elizabeth went into seclusion and Zechariah was struck dumb until the birth of his son.

Let’s talk about Zechariah. He is standing in the presence of a being who sees God on a daily basis and bringing good news to Zechariah and Zechariah doubts. So God, through the angel, causes Zechariah to be without the ability to speak until John is born. Why? Well, I have a thought. The other night there was a movie on that I have seen several times so I know the dialog pretty well. I had my eyes closed while the movie was on and I heard things I had never heard before. I heard quiet pieces of conversations that I had missed all along. It was really “eye opening.”

God sometimes has to make us quiet so we can hear His plan for us. I know I talk to God far more than I listen to God. On Sunday mornings I take notes during the sermons and listen to our pastors’ discernment of the texts for the day. Being silent before God is a place of forced surrender. God is often silent with us. And even if He is silent before us that does not mean He is not at work, it just means we have to work extra hard and hearing His message.

God sent a messenger to Zechariah with a message of good news.

What messengers have visited us? Sometimes I hear messages in music, or in sermons, in the Word or in unusual places like a movie with my eyes closed. God speaks to us in so many ways and works to get our attention in whatever ways have meaning for each of us. Let us listen for God’s message in the world around us. It might come in prayer, or through a friend, through a sermon or even a movie you have seen multiple times. So let’s stop talking and listen and maybe, just maybe, we will hear some good news.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift each other up in prayer each day. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer Alert! Mike S. is having gall bladder surgery in the morning. Please pray for all medical personnel to be perfect in their tasks and for Mike to be without fear.

No comments: