Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blessed Sunday!

It was inspiring this morning to see three pastors being honored for just short of 100 years of ordained pastorship. Two of the pastors have been serving for 30 years and one has been serving for 35 years. There were other pastors in the congregation on hand to support and share in this celebration. Pastor Joel is our current pastor. Assistant to the Bishop, Pastor Stan Meyer, is an attending member of Advent and Bishop Kevin Kanouse is a former pastor of 17 years for Advent Lutheran church. All three of these pastors will be involved in the candidacy process as I progress through. As I looked on these men I thought “I just want to get through the candidacy process, seminary and become ordained.” That seems like a long way away. But, but by the grace of God and lots of prayers I will be on my way to a journey in ministry.

John 14: 26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit,…shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you.”

Tonight my meditation begins like this, “I am your Helper. At the end of your present path lie all these blessings. So trust and know that I am leading you.” God Calling October 10.

I am a planner. I have been a teacher and a Mom for as long as those pastors have been pastors. And as I begin to think about changing course in my life, each day will be somewhat of an unknown. I will no longer be planning lessons, I will be finding study time, time for writing, time for reading and experiencing and participating in the activities of the seminary. My double life will end, but it will not have any spare time! What I must remember is that above all else I am called to be God’s servant whether I am a teacher, seminary student or wife and mother.

God calls each of us to be His servants. We must take each interruption, each task and opportunity as direction from God to share in the gladness of the gospel. We are His servants so we must serve. I have told my children when they do not want to perform a task (dishes, cleaning a bathroom, etc…) “You may not do this with gladness, but you will do it.” God’s expectation is a bit different. God expects us to do each task cheerfully and readily as the same way we would expect someone to do something for us. I think I need to change some attitudes! Let us try for tomorrow to be aware of how we each approach a task that needs to be done. Maybe just for a day we could do what we need to do with the attitude “It would be my joy!” (I really needed to think about this tonight because tomorrow is district wide inservice. Not my favorite thing!)

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to pray for each other each day and ask for an attitude of joy in all we do (even cleaning toilets and going to inservice!) Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: