Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Thursday!

Hebrews 4:10 “For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from His.”

Isaiah 32:17 “And the work of righteous shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever.”

After a day with 22 six year olds, a little peace and quiet is really nice. A little squirrel helped provide just such a time of quiet. Upon our arrival at home, Bruce and I discovered that we had no electricity. A squirrel zigged when he should have zagged and tripped the relay at our transformer and knocked out our power. As Geni said, squirrel fail!

If you have ever lost the power to your house you know it gets very quiet. The quiet is a different quiet than when the lights are on. The quiet is very still. There is no air moving around you and you become aware of your own breathing. The rooms are dark even in the daylight hours and if it is approaching dusk the rooms are full of shadows and you find yourself seeking light sources through open doors and windows. This experience in the shadows adds to the quiet stillness of the house.

I began to wash dishes and prepare dinner in the dark. This kind of quiet stillness can make you feel very alone. But the truth is that I was not alone. God was there. The peace that He provides gives quietness and assurance forever. I did not find myself hurrying to complete the dishes and dinner preparations before total darkness had taken away the last glimpses of the outside light, but instead I continued to work on the tasks at hand and felt assured that light would return.

God calls us to stay the course. His Word reminds us to be calm, assured, at rest and to remember how much we are loved. To live in peace is not a state of unrest, or fretfulness, but to rest in His love and pray without ceasing staying in God’s calming presence.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to pray for each other daily. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS The repairmen were there in about an hour and by the time it was time to sit down to dinner the lights were back on and light was restored.

No comments: