Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy Saturday!

Last evening I was volunteered to help with the school lock-in. Our principal told the third, fourth and fifth graders they could have a lock-in if they achieved an “exemplary” rating on their TAKS Test. They achieved!!! I ran the dance room. When we (Geni and me) finally got home around 9:30 pm for all day at school and then the lock-in, I was triple exhausted, or as my Mom would say, “My tired hurts.” I was so tired I could not even talk, I could only nod. It was a wonderful party and the kids all had a great time. It was a fitting celebration for a year’s worth of hard work.

1 Kings 19: 11,12 “And after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire, and after the fire a still small voice.”

Remember the story of the disciples on the sea and the storm rocks their boat? They are really frightened. Jesus is below the deck asleep. Jesus was not part of the storm. The disciples, in their distress and fear, became part of the storm. They go and wake Jesus from His sleep and all He says quietly is “Peace, be still.” The storm on the sea is calmed.

If you ever watched MASH, Col. Blake was forever trying to get the camp staff to listen, by yelling at them. Then Radar would stand and quietly say, “Quiet.” The meeting immediately came to order.

God tends to speak quietly to us. My problem is that I have usually been talking so much that I could not hear Him. The best part is that God knows me so well that He continues to speak until I am ready to hear Him. He does not seem to raise His voice even though He must become really exasperated. But when I do listen and act in obedience I am never disappointed. So in the words of Lily Moscovits in The Princess Diaries, “Shut up and listen!”

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and day your prayers. Love you all and see you in worship, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: