Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy Wednesday!

Tonight I am going to get right to it…!

Matthew 20:27-28 “Jesus said, “Your attitude must be like My own, for I, the Messiah did not come to be served, but to serve and to give my life.”

I have been struggling with a point of service for some time. I committed to serve on a Kairos Prison Ministry Weekend with Bruce. The problem is I am not sure it was the right decision and I am battling a timing issue. I have two major projects due prior to the weekend and a commitment at school that I must honor. The commitment at school happens on a Friday and I am supposed to be on the weekend on Thursday (the day before). And frankly my attitude has been that this is just one more thing to do and not the joy of servant hood it should be.

My favorite television show of all time is Touched by an Angel. In one episode there was a man struggling with a similar issue and Tess (Della Reese) bluntly said, “God called you into service and you didn’t go?” That is sort of how I feel. I am questioning “Did God call me into this service or did I offer to do this out of love for Bruce and a desire to be able to sleep?” (If you are a reader of my blog you know that when Bruce serves on these not weekends I do not sleep.) I have witnessed the love this team has for each other and their totally devoted commitment to this ministry and yet I have not yet experienced the same joy these gracious, amazing people show in their commitment to this ministry to a forgotten and marginalized community.

And then tonight (after sharing my thoughts and feelings with Bruce) this verse is presented to me. This is what I have learned.

First, service is not optional. I cannot look at my service to God as something to tack onto my schedule for something to fill my spare time. God gave His all for us and He calls us to give and serve.

Second, the purpose for our lives as believers is to serve God by serving others.

I am not sure that this will be my place to serve, but I will honor my commitment and serve beginning on Friday instead of Thursday. I pray God will make clear to me His purpose for me and how I am to serve in this ministry. I ask for your prayers for the 42 residents of the prison who will be pilgrims on this weekend who will hear the word of God as experienced and shared by the Inside Team. I ask your prayers for the team of men who will serve inside and those of us on the Outside Team who will prepare meals, count cookies, pray and worship throughout the weekend. I would also ask a prayer for me to fulfill the scripture placed before me; that I will have a Christ-like attitude and remember why I am there or at least find my purpose.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: