Saturday, October 17, 2009

Happy Saturday!

Today was the Texas vs. Oklahoma football game. I was greatly reminded of two past game days. I cannot tell you who won, but I can tell you stories. The first one happened two years ago just before Casey was diagnosed. Travis and I decided to tease Casey by wearing our Texas burnt orange shirts. So here we sat in the living room and waited for Casey come out of his room wearing his Oklahoma maroon shirt. When Casey walked out into the living room and saw Travis and I in our UT shirts he stated very strongly, “You people are wrong, just wrong!” It was too funny.

The second and most memorable was the game last year. We held the party in his hospital room. There was most definitely a division of orange and maroon in the room and the crowd was so large that it overflowed into the family room across the hall. Casey lay in his bed with his beloved OU pillow wearing his OU shirt and when he was coherent he rooted for the Sooners. That was on a Saturday and we lost him on the following Tuesday. Casey always loved a great party and not one time did any nurse tell us to be quiet or settle down. They just came on in and cheered for their favorite. I think their favorite was Casey.

Today while making chicken wings for during the game snacks, I wore Casey’s OU shirt. (My mom told me to wear my UT shirt under the OU shirt just to be safe!) I must admit I shed some tears while making the wings, as they were one of Casey’s favorites and I thought about the fun everyone had at last year’s game.

Hebrews 12:2 “Looking unto Jesus…who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross…and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

My Mom called me today to see how my week had gone; especially Wednesday. I told her that parts of the day were hard and parts of the day were okay. The memory of a year ago is still burned in my memory and will be forever. But I told Mom that I tried to keep busy and that really helped, but the times when I was still were pretty hard. I also told her that writing has really helped me work through my grief.

Writing has helped a lot, but staying focused on Christ has helped most of all. When I sort through whatever is bothering me and get to the face and heart of God then things become clearer. The devotion guide I frequently use calls this Faith-Vision. “Faith vision is when you look away from sordid surroundings, lack of beauty and imperfections” and see only Jesus. When we seek and see only Jesus then we desire only Him and what he wills for our lives. When we grow in the likeness of Christ then others will know we have been with Jesus. We, then, abide with Jesus while still here on this earth. In my prayer time this week I have been praying that when others see me they will see the eyes of Jesus looking back at them. My prayer is not to wait until I am close to entering the Kingdom of heaven before others see Jesus in me. I figure this is a prayer and a growth that will take me the remainder of my lifetime for God to accomplish this in me.

So the question I am throwing out there is “Do people see Jesus when they look in our eyes?”

I want to thank each of you for letting me work out my grief, share joys, accomplishments and for praying for our family for the last two years. You have all been an amazing support and the most wonderful example of grace in action. Thank you friends and love you lots.

Take joy in the journey and wear a sweater. Love you all and see you in worship!

Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: