Sunday, August 16, 2009


Trying to get pictures of the flying fish. No luck!

Happy Saturday!

Romans 14:8 “If we live, we are living for the Lord, and if die, we are dying for the Lord.”

Today, the teaching staff from Burton Hill gathered at our principal’s home in Aledo for picnic and swimming. One of the purposes for the picnic is the magic brown envelopes. In those envelopes are the names of the children assigned to our classrooms for the year. It is always an exciting time for each teacher. We gather and read the list of names and ask each other if they had this particular student or that student.

When it comes to the students on my list, I will be responsible for their instruction for the next 36 weeks. In my classroom I work very hard to not have any negative visible attributes. I do not put names on the board, turn color cards or place children in a specific “corner” of the room when there is inappropriate behavior. There is no room for negativity, only positive reinforcement. Bottom line is that no matter who had these students in the past, they, for the next nine months, will be my students. These children will be associated with my classroom and carry my name, so to speak. As they walk down the hall, go to lunch and participate in recess and other classes, they will show the rest of the school the discipline I practice in my classroom.

When we come into relationship with Jesus we come with guilt, shame, fear and sin. God cannot take up residence into lives riddled with sin. God can only take up space made for Him in our lives. God sent Jesus as a ransom for our sins and to redeem us before the Father. When God checks the Book of Life and finds our name written in it He rejoices because He knows we are living for Him. We have died to our old selves and are choosing to live lives that conform to His standards. We choose to live for Him and show others the gracious gifts and radical, abundant love that has been showered on us by God Himself. When we make that choice, others know us as belonging to God, and God is proud to call us His own children.

Take joy in the journey and share the love of God with those you meet. Love you all and see you in worship. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.
Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

glad i came across your blog. good stuff.