Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Wednesday! The butterfly count is 32. At Burton hill the butterfly count is how many numbered butterflies there all on the wall outside my classroom that tell how many days we have left in school. It is so hard to believe that the last six weeks is upon us. The final TAKS test are upcoming next week and in just a few weeks I will have a niece who graduates from Texas Tech and Travis will graduate from high school. I realize it is an old adage but here goes…”Where did the time go?”

Luke 16:13 says, “You cannot serve both God and worldly riches.”

One day several years ago I asked my custodian at school to do something for me. He made a joking remark about “How much are you going to pay me? My response was “I have a son in college (Casey), a graduating senior girl (Geni) and a son with a girlfriend (Travis), I have no money!”

Bruce and I have always struggled to have enough money. We seem to have too much month left at the end of the money. We have always told our kids that we will try our best to provide what you need and some of what you want. And now with a graduating senior I think that just a little of the “worldly riches” scripture speaks about wouldn’t be so bad. And then I remember the treasured Psalm 23 which says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.” Sometimes when I get a bit down or concerned that we will not have enough money to make it through the month I try to remember this psalm and the comfort it gives. God has promised to supply our needs. I know I have spoken about sheep before, but sheep without a shepherd are a big mess. They have no direction, get into trouble and are generally without a clue. Too many times I am such a sheep!

Do I feel better with a little extra money in my pocket? Sure. Does the extra money in my pocket remain there for very long? No. Does having something new to wear give me a boost? Of course. But pretty soon that new outfit is discarded or stained and is no longer usable or fashionable. There is an old saying that says, “a diamond glows with brilliant fire, but gives no warmth.” The things of this world are temporal. The things of God are eternal. God’s gifts of love, joy, peace, grace, comfort, guidance and forgiveness are the eternal blessings given to us on this side of heaven so that we will never be in want. The psalmist David is telling us that what he has in God is greater than what he has in life.

This morning in our Bible study the first three words of the opening meditation were “Trust in Me.” Are we faithful enough to believe as Davis did? Do we know God well enough to know He is unchanging? God’s love for us never changes. Are we willing to trust Him enough to sing praises with empty pockets? If we can do that then we serve a risen Savior and His heavenly Father. We will serve only one Master.

Take joy in the journey my wonderful friends. We love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: