Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy Thursday! Blessed Maundy Thursday to you all. Tonight we attended at Seder feast at our church. Our worship and meal were led by a gentleman who is a Messianic Jew. That means he is a man of Jewish origin who believes in Jesus Christ as Messiah. It was a completely amazing evening. He tied the Old Testament scriptures with the New Testament scriptures. He led us through all parts of the Seder feast explaining all of the parts and the traditions and finally moving in a very natural progression to the Eucharist we celebrate. The meal was delicious. We were served roasted chicken, roasted vegetables, potato kuegle, salad, black forest brownies and bread. We were also led through the Seder plate and began to understand the meaning of all of the foods on the plate.

Several years ago, before we became members at Advent, we attended St. John Lutheran Church in Grand Prairie. Our pastor, Pastor Susan Rodriguez, was raised in an orthodox Jewish home and later became a Lutheran Pastor. She led us through a Seder meal. We began the meal with matzo ball soup. Pastor Susan taught Casey how to make the soup and then turned him loose in the kitchen at church and he prepared the soup for the entire meal. Casey really loved to cook. I remember how much fun he had and the wonderful pride he felt in his service to the Seder meal. And the soup was delicious!!

Psalm 43:4 says, “I will go to the altar of God, to God who is my joy and happiness.”

Many wonderful things have been done to our house in the last six months. There has been lots of painting on the inside, beautiful curtains have been hung and so many other wonderful gifts of time and kindness have been given. We are so grateful. I told my mom that we were “almost visitor worthy.” She said, “Great! We will be there Easter.” So my family including Mom and Daddy, Ken, Sheena and the girls will be coming to visit. We are going out to lunch and then coming back to our house for dessert and coffee.

I tend to stress when we have visitors because I am such a terrible housekeeper. So all week long I have been thinking about all of the things that still need to be done before their arrival. As I continue to think on all of these things, the list gets longer and I get more upset. Then I read this passage from Psalms. It was one of those moments when God said, “Gaylene, stop stressing out. Accept my lordship. I have handled far greater things than this and if you will just give this over to me and stop taking it back everything will be okay.” So instead of being upset about the things left to do and being upset with the other members of my family because they are not moving fast enough, it is time to take a different tack. I am going to do my part which is to pray and be thankful for my family who is helping make our house a place of warmth, and comfort and ready to receive our visitors. I am giving thanks that my family is coming for a visit. I love my family so much and I cannot wait to see them. God’s part is to provide me with peace and remind me to trust Him in all things.

I ask your prayers for me to calm down and do the best I can. I ask your prayers for Bruce as he continues to paint our house and as he goes to the heart doctor tomorrow. And I pray travel mercy for the family that is coming to visit. Thank you all mighty faithful prayer warriors and dear friends.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: