Sunday, April 5, 2009

Happy Saturday! It has been a really busy Saturday. Geni, Travis and I attended the Happening Reunion today at Good Shepherd Lutheran in Irving. After that, I met with Bruce at Cracker Barrel Restaurant to purchase two front porch rockers. Next we went to Home Depot to purchase paint with which to paint our house. We chose two beautiful colors and Bruce is planning to paint the house this week. Please pray for good weather and for Bruce as he takes on this very laborious venture. Upon our return home I potted three different colors of petunia plants and cleaned the porch. Bruce and I then sat on the porch and quaffed our favorite Crystal Light and enjoyed the rocking chairs. It was a wonderful day.

Deuteronomy 31:8 says, “The Lord Himself will go before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forget you.”

Today I led the worship for the Happening reunion. I shared the passage from Luke I had written about earlier in the week where Jesus went with Simon out into the deep water. This story has stayed in my thoughts a lot this week and this verse from Deuteronomy continued to remind me of how God will direct our lives if we just let Him. In the story with Simon (later to be named Peter), Jesus tells Peter to get into the boat and go out into the deep water. The point here is that Jesus did not tell Simon to get in the boat and go out by himself. Jesus did not say I will wait here on the shore and to write when you find work. Jesus went in the boat with Simon to show him what his life would be like if He (Jesus) was allowed to direct his thoughts and steps. If you remember the story the catch that day was the largest the community of Galilee had ever seen. Jesus applied the skills that Simon already had and took them in a new direction. Jesus then said to Simon, “Now you will fish for men.” Peter put down his nets and followed Jesus.

What has God called you to do to further His kingdom? Has God called you into service? Did you say “but Lord…,” or “Can I do this later?” or “Not now!” or just plain “No!” God is relentless in His desire to grow us in His likeness. We are born in His image, but we spend our lives growing in His likeness. Get into the boat with Jesus and see where He takes you.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Blood Drive at Advent from 9:00-1:00 and Seder Passover Feast on Thursday at 6:45. Have a Blessed Holy Week! Love you. gc

No comments: