Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy Saturday! I am hoping to complete my mid-term review today. I received B’s on both of my papers I submitted this week. I still have a ways to go to become an academic writer. My professor wrote some notes and I wrote back to him saying that I am better at expressing my beliefs on a subject and will work harder on writing an academic paper. My GPA is pretty good and if I can keep a good GPA after this semester I will receive a 70% tuition grant as I will be off of probation at Brite. (Everyone starts on probation).

Today’s devotion is continuing from the Max Lucado book, And the Angels Were Silent.

Matthew 21:3 says, “If anyone asks you why you are taking the donkey, say that the Lord needs it, and he will send it at once.”

This story is repeated in all four gospels. I have always loved this story and argued with people about why the donkey was surrendered so obediently? Can you imagine how the disciples sent to get the donkey must have felt? Did they ask Jesus, “Are you nuts? We are just supposed to go up to this total stranger and untie the donkey and walk away with his property? What if the owner asks what we are doing and we are just supposed to say the Lord has need of it? Is the owner going to call the local authorities? You know Jesus, they crucify people for stealing. Are you sure?”

In this passage, special attention needs to be considered in the use of language in the request. The language is a royal request. It was ancient law which required the citizen to give to the king anything the king requests. In the words “the Lord has need,” Jesus is declaring Himself the king. Jesus is speaking as one in authority.

Jesus is stating that as king He has rights to any possession of His subjects. Think about it. This is the only time that Jesus leads the parade. In His life Jesus has always been in the midst of the people, never out front except when He was preaching. And when Jesus finally leads the people, He arrives on a donkey. He does not arrive with a mighty and beautiful horse, a symbol of power, might, authority and leadership. He leads on a lowly donkey. The same beast that brought His mother, Mary to the stable in Bethlehem is the same beast that carried Him “triumphantly” into Jerusalem for the final time. The donkey is a beast of burden. The donkey would faithfully and without complaining carry loads far greater than his size and strength should allow. But yet, the donkey moved forward until it reached its destination. Not an animal that was ever celebrated, but an animal that was common. But how God used that common animal in such an uncommon way!

Let’s look at some other “donkeys” of which the Lord has had need; Moses’ rod, Rahab’s rope, Mary’s oil, David’s sling and Simon of Cyrene, who carried the cross piece for Jesus on the Via Dolorosa. All of these acts of the people were donkeys. God had need of these acts of faith. These were all acts of faith made by people who were asked by God with the request, “the Lord has need.”

So I guess my question to myself and you is, “what is the donkey in my (our) life of which the Lord has need? And when He asks will I recognize His voice and surrender my donkey without question?”

God prepares those He calls and when the preparation is complete He asks us to surrender that which He has called us to do over to Him. Friends, there is nothing extraordinary about me. But God has allowed me to see and experience extraordinary events in my life that have caused amazing changes in me and what I believe to be the course of my future.

What is the donkey in your life? What is the act of faith you need to surrender because “the Lord has need.” We are the kingdom of God, Body of Christ. God counts on all of us to further His kingdom. He has chosen us to tell His story. God does not ask us to ride the donkey, He just tells us to surrender over that which we have so He can ride.

See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS I think Jesus spoke to the owner of the donkey before He sent the disciples to retrieve the donkey. That makes sense to me.

PSS If there are any teachers out there and your received the TRS letter this week, my brother, Dr. Ken Helvey (love saying that!) is on the ballot for the TRS Board of Directors and asks for your vote. Ken is a wonderful man of faith, the Superintendant of Allen ISD and a totally great guy. You can vote online. Thanks.

PSSS My friend and fellow teacher from Burton Hill lost her mother to cancer yesterday. Her name is Mechelle Berg. Please lift Mechelle and her family in prayer. We also lost a long time friend Buck Wunderlich to cancer earlier this week. He has two sons and also lost his wife and a daughter to cancer. Bruce will travel on Tuesday to the service in New Braunfels. Please lift this family up in prayer. Thanks and peace. gc

No comments: