Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Friday! Happy first day of Spring! It is an absolutely beautiful day. I had an early morning appointment today and took a book to read. I love to read Max Lucado. He is a writer who speaks to my soul. Today I began to read, And the Angels Were Silent. This book not only chronicles the last week of the life of Jesus, but intersperses the theme of looking at the true character of people as they are facing death. As a mother who watched her own son die, I also watched the character of Christ grow in Casey. This book and its theme are very near to my heart. I think that the most important lesson Casey taught all of us was not only who to reach for in the hour of death, but the importance of the One he knew better than the rest of us so he could die without fear.

Matthew 20: 28 says, “In the same way, the Son of man did not come to be served. He came to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many people.”

The story goes like this…Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower stood on the deck of the aircraft carrier and watched the planes fly off into the darkness on their way to the beach on D-Day. After the last plane disappeared Gen. Eisenhower went to his quarters and wrote a letter to be delivered to the White House the following day. The letter stated that the attack was a failure and he was to blame. Gen. Eisenhower took the blame for the failed attack before the attack ever took place. He took the blame and as a result Gen. Eisenhower became a hero. Jesus took the blame, became our savior and was crucified.

The first piece of fruit was crunched in the Garden of Eden and Jesus began His walk to the cross. Jesus took the sins committed by all now and the sins yet to be committed to the cross with Him on that Friday. Jesus came not to be served, but to be the servant of all by His Father’s will and His Fathers heart. I will use the words of Max Lucado because he explains this concept so well. “Jesus wears the title “the Son of Man.” Jesus did not write the note, but He paid the price. He did not just assume the blame, he seized the sin. “Friends, we must walk to the cross and leave our sins at the foot and Jesus will do the rest. The journey may not be one of joy, but aren’t we glad we can make the trip.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS Our friend David Russell came home from the hospital today. Praise God!!! Home health care is in place as well as wound care. He will sleep in Casey’s bed during recuperation and healing. We ask your continued prayers for Dave and Carme. She is still scheduled for breast surgery repair at the end of the month. Thank you, mighty and faithful prayer warriors. gc

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Another good one, Gaylene! Happy first day of spring to you, too! Not much I can add that wouldn't be the usual "it's all about me" stuff that I usually clog yer blog with. :-)

Love,
Al