Sunday, February 1, 2009

Happy Saturday!! What a beautiful day! Can you believe that two days ago we were scraping ice off of our cars and layering turtle necks and sweatshirts? And today I saw flipflops and shorts everywhere. Go figure. Texas Weather, if you don’t like it, just wait a bit and it will change.

Psalm 118:24 says, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” And Psalm 18:1 says, “I love you Lord. You are my strength.”

Sitting on my table at school I have a small devotional book by Joyce Meyer called Starting Your day Right. My conference/planning time is 8:15 am. I have just enough time to pick students up from the auditorium, get us to the classroom, put things away, take attendance and send them to their next class. I have 45 minutes to myself first thing in the morning. I have begun taking that time to eat my Starbucks oatmeal and have a brief devotional and prayer time. I did not think I would like having a first of the morning conference time, but I have grown to treasure this time. It allows me to center myself and prepare for the day.

Friday’s reading was Psalm 118:24, “this is the day…” I former pastor friend used to say there are two kinds of people in this world; those that wake up and say, “good morning, Lord!” and those that say, “good Lord, it’s morning.” I lean more toward the “good morning, Lord.” I am pretty quiet in the morning as I am the first one up. The brief meditation suggested that before you feet hit the floor have your first thought be of God and all of His blessings He has poured out and simply say, “I love you Lord and I am so grateful for your loving kindness and this day you have created.” I am going to try to remember to do that in the morning. And then get up and prepare for worship. I will let you know if I succeed and if it makes a difference in my day.

I was sitting in a car repair shop many years ago waiting on my car to be fixed and there was this sign that said, “Eat a live toad first thing in the morning and you day can’t help but get better.” If given the choice of telling God that I love Him and giving thanks for the day ahead or eating a live toad, I think I will choose to follow scripture and add a little discipline and begin my day being with the God who loves me, forgave me and died for me. I challenge you to try this small practice and let me know how it goes. Prayer or toads…you make the choice.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: