Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Tuesday!

I took the day off from school to attend the funeral service of our friend Deb Koplen. It was cold wet and rainy, but the service was well attended and was such a wonderful time of worship as well as funny memories of Deb and the things she used to say. She loved to serve at the altar. She loved to wear her alb (liturgical robe) and “chancel prance” as she called it. She especially loved to serve at funerals. She had been part of the handbell choir for years. It was one of her favorite things to do.Her place at the bell table was marked by a bouquet of yellow flowers and a former handbell director played her bells. Most of the ringers whom had played with her met for two rehearsals to honor her request for the handbell choir to play. The difficult and wonderful piece Outburst of Joy was played beautifully just prior to the gospel and when the final ring died away there were tears of joy and sorrow.

Bruce sang the old spiritual adapted by Anton Dvorak, Goin’ Home from the New World Symphony. The words were so poignant and so perfect for this woman and her desire to be reunited with her mama and daddy and with her Heavenly Father. Bruce struggled emotionally with the piece as it spoke of who was there waiting. The thoughts of Deb’s parents, Bruce’s parents or our son waiting for her were very overwhelming. Bruce finished the piece and there was not a dry eye in the house. The service ended with the most perfect affirmation in the singing of I Know that My Redeemer Lives. Truly this was a woman of great faith and she certainly did not die alone.

Psalm 71: 5-6 says, “For You are my hope, O Lord God, my confidence since I was young. I have been sustained by you ever since I was born; from my mother’s womb you have been my strength: my praise shall be always of You.” Deb and her parents were charter members of St. John Lutheran Church. Deb was raised in the Lutheran church and her faith was a life-long intimate part of her life. His verse seemed to summarize her life in faith. She so loved the church and serving in so many capacities. She served as an assisting minister, played handbells, organized the clean-up day, was president of the church council and many other things too numerous to mention. She was what is called a “cradle Lutheran”, but more than that she had the love of the Father in her heart. As an only child, when she lost her parents, the love of her church family surrounded her and she was never alone or without family. Maybe it was not a family of blood, but it was a family of love just the same. As my friend Al says, “her family was provided and connected by the blood of Jesus.” It was the blood of Jesus that brought all of us together today and throughout the last months.

Tonight, I pray this verse from the Book of Psalms for all of us. God is our hope, our confidence, our sustainer, our strength and for all of these things, let us offer our praise to God. Have you ever noticed how this verse does not say that gives us these things? It says, God is…our hope, confidence and strength. He loves us so much that He is all of those things for us. I think that God is…those qualities for us because when we need them the most, in times of trouble, despair and difficulty we do not have hope, confidence or strength. God becomes those things for us. How can we not help but praise Him. Let us praise God for His life spent in us, and give thanks with all of our hearts. As Pastor Thomas closed the sermon today, he spoke to Deb and pronounced the baptismal promise, “Deb, child of God, you have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever.”

As children of God let us claim God’s promises of hope, confidence and strength and take joy in the journey.

Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: