Monday, December 15, 2008

Blessed Sunday!! It has been such a blessed day. The Advent Festival Choir, members of The Advent Carrillion Handbell Choir and the Seguin High School Orchestra lead worship today. The music was so beautiful and worship was a wonderful experience this morning. Thank you, Noralyn, all singers, ringers and instrumental musicians for the wonderful music in worship this morning.

I finished my final Friday and submitted my final paper for Theology this evening. Yea!!! It feels good to have those things completed. Thank you all for your prayers as I continue this journey of faith in attending seminary.

Isaiah 40:9 says, “Get you up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good tidings,lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good tidings, lift it up, do not fear; say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God.” Today, the opening song in worship was “O come, All Ye Faithful”. As we sang the hymn, up popped a memory from long ago. We used to attend First Christian Church. In that congregation it was the practice to begin the season of Advent with a pageant for the Hanging of the Greens in the sanctuary. One year when Casey was about 5 or 6 he was the shepherd boy who found the Christ Child and went to go and tell the other shepherds and bring them to the stable. Bruce was one of the shepherds. I can still see Casey in his shepherd boy costume running down the center aisle, stopping, counting to about 5 and then running back to get Bruce to show him the baby Jesus.

Do you find it interesting that God did not choose to announce Himself to kings, or town leaders or emperors? He chose to announce His coming and His identity to those He came to serve. Jesus came for the outcast, the poor, the down trodden and sinners. God announced His only son to a bunch of (probably) smelly shepherds. “For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior which is Christ the Lord.” Jesus was born in a stable among the animals and into a poor family. He called and served with fishermen. He told the woman at the well He was the Messiah. He worked in the lives of those who were in need of a savior. And because of the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, God continues to work in the lives of those in need of a Savior.

So as we prepare for the coming of the Christ Child, I am going to use the words we spoke in worship this morning. As someone who is in need of a Savior, I invite you to join me in saying, “YES” to the manger,” YES” to love in flesh, “YES” to the One incarnate for others and “YES” to the wholeness of God. Our Advent journey will end in a few short days so take joy in the journey and prepare your heart for the coming of Christ.

Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

2 comments:

Al Rearick said...

Playing catch-up after being sick all last week. Thank God you and Bruce have the strength to keep this going on a daily basis; the Lord provides strength and inspiration through this blog, as well as just seeing y'all at church every Sunday.

I really wish y'all could've sung with us for the Cantata (I kept whining at Cyndy that I was bummed the men were on one side and the women were on the other, because I wanted to sneak over to the women's side during "Silent Night" to sing the low-alto part. *COUD ALERT* I love the falsetto God blessed me with, although upon closer listening, it's more "False" then "setto" (according to Cyndy, anyway) haha). ANYway, I know it would've been difficult for y'all to sing this year. I missed y'alls voices, though.

I know this Christmas is going to be a different one, and I wish there was some way I could change that. I really can't think of anything that y'all don't already know (i.e. you know you're surrounded by people who love you; Casey is having the best Christmas ever because he's in Heaven, etc.); just want to let you know that y'all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, especially right now.

Here: have a blog-o-hug. <<<<{{{}}}>>>> Y'all stay warm tonight!

Love,
Al

Brooklyn said...

Thinking of y'all on this special Christmas Day!! Much Love, Brooklyn