Wednesday, November 5, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Wednesday!  All is well here at 811. I really like sweatshirt/sweater weather!  I have worn boots every day this week. Yesterday when I got out of the car and the school to cast my vote it was cold wet and rainy. But I was warm and dry from the feet on up. My friends, I will be leaving for the via De Cristo Weekend tomorrow afternoon and will not be able to write again until possibly Sunday night.  Please pray for the weekend, the staff and participants. I know that you may not even know for whom you are praying, but remember that the power of the prayer does not lie with the one who prays, but the One who hears the prayer.  Thank you mighty and faithful prayer warriors!

God, How awesome it is to communicate with You in prayer. You are the King of the universe and creator of all and you desire communication with your human creation above all others.  Thank you that we can come before you for help, praise, thanksgiving and forgiveness and receive all of what we have asked and praise You not for what you do, but for who You are.  Thank you that we may delight in You and that we may approach Your throne of grace receiving mercy and finding the grace we need in time of need. I love You Lord, in Jesus name, amen.

I was raised on two television shows on Saturday night growing up. I knew if I was at home or at my Mamo’s (if Mom and Dad had gone out) that I would watch these two shows; The Gospel Singing Jubilee and Lawrence Welk. Remember I am old. The Gospel Singing Jubilee was an hour long program of gospel quartet singing. The headline group that sang was The Happy Goodman Family.  This family of a mother, father, son and brother sang classic southern gospel music. The lead in most of the pieces was a woman with a big voice and big hair named Vestal Goodman. She was beloved by many.  Vestal and her husband Howard went on to sing with the Gaither Homecoming folks. ( I have always wanted to sing with the Gaither Homecoming folks and believe that I can sing with the best of them, but I am pretty sure that I do not have enough hair.)  The folks who sang with Vestal  have spoken of her faith and her extraordinary prayer life. Her prayer life was pretty simple. When she wanted to talk to God she stopped, walked into the throne room of grace and told God how she needed help, gave thanks, asked for forgiveness, praised him and told God how much she loved Him.  She was bold in her prayer life.

Prayer is a wonderful privilege that brings changes in our circumstances and in the people with who we encounter. “Prayer can be the difference in confusion and clarity, hurt and healing, defeat and victory and even between life and death.” (Joyce Meyer)  There are a lot of ways to pray, but the most effective way to pray is to pray boldly and using the words that come straight from our hearts.  God wants us to come before Him without fear and confidently being specific in our needs.  Our God knows us and loves so much that we will receive the promised help when we need it. God listens to our hearts as well as our words.

“Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace,,,that we may receive mercy…and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it.]
Hebrews 4: 16

Take joy in the journey praying, praising, encouraging and asking for help as you go.  Wear comfortable shoes and a warm jacket. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: