Tuesday, November 4, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Tuesday!  All is well  here at 811.

The candle is lit…

My blessed and holy God, You are the great I AM. I thank you for being faithful and trustworthy in my life and in the lives of all your people. May your name be cherished forever. Lord, there are times I have questions. Please settle my heart and help me to rest in the hope that one day all my questions will be answered as I stand in your presence. Lord. There are wonderful people preparing to serve you in the Via De Cristo Weekend. Please continue to prepare our hearts so serve you. Lord please calm the anxiousness of the participants as they come in faith to learn so much more about you.  I love you Lord, in Jesus name, amen.

I tutor first through fourth graders in reading each day. When they get stuck on a word then often look on the ceiling, around the room or on my face to try and figure out the word. The mantra in my teaching is that “A good reader always looks at the words.”  The children learn this simple verse the first time I meet with them.  When they look for answers anywhere except on the page of writing I remind them that the words are not written on my face or on the ceiling, but are written on the page.  Then I have them repeat what a good reader does. 

I think this is a pretty good less for all of us when it comes to our study of scripture and using it as the place to find answers to our questions.  As believers in God we have a book that will help us find answers to the questions in our lives. And if we combine the reading of scripture with prayer allowing God wo speak to us through His Written Word and then to reveal its meaning to us in prayer through the Holy Spirit then I don’t know about you, but I find peace in the Presence of God in both written word and revealed understanding.

We may never know the answers to all of our questions from all of the experiences in our loves. And maybe we will be given those answers when we meet Jesus face to face or maybe when we reach heaven the questions won’t even matter. But I know we can trustingly place our faith in God and our hope in the wisdom of God and God’s eternal love. The words are not written on our faces or on the ceiling, but they are written in a pretty amazing book.  Remember, “A good reader always looks at the WORD.” 

“I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from God who made heaven and earth and mountains.”
Psalm 121: 1

Take joy in the journey praying, praising, laughing and encouraging others as you go.  Wear comfortable shoes, pray for others and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: