Sunday, November 2, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Blessed Sunday to you all.  All is well here at 811.

The candle is lit…

Lord, how blessed and fitting to praise You! May my life be a psalm of adoration to you from this time forth and forevermore. I’ll love you always, my God. God, bring peace and constancy to my heart and may You find it a fitting place for You to dwell. I am hoping in your goodness and believing in Your kindness. Thank you for the remembrances of Mom and Casey today. You were there when I shed my tears of grief and loss and remained until I could smile and sing again. I know they are in heaven with You and basking in the worship and praise of Your Holy Presence.  Thank you for taking care of them Lord. Give them an extra hug from me. Lord, I love you so much. In Jesus’ name, amen.

The psalms are the most wonderful words. The book of Psalms begins with “Happy are those who…love the Lord’s teachings.” (Ps. 1: 1-2) and ends with the must jubilant Praise the Lord in Ps. 150. Psalm 150 is one we had read at Mom’s service. Mom would have never wanted sad songs or scriptures at a service that honored her life spent in faith with God.  Anyway, the Psalms have within them words that represent the vast expanse of human experience and the faithfulness of God and how God walks with each of us through each experience we have in our lives. Tonight the author of my meditation writes that the psalms represent every situation of life-- “trials, losses, betrayals, joys, hopes, promises and desires.”

Tonight’s scripture passages have particularly special meaning for me. Psalm 150 was spoken at Mom’s memorial service and the same psalm was purchased by the choir at Advent and dedicated to Casey. If I am so humbly honored to be ordained, the choral piece Let Everything that Has Breath will be sung by combined choirs as the musical offering for the ordination service. Scripture is the best place to begin in a faithful relationship with God. God’s Word is where we can learn to trust God and God’s love for us as we praise God and journey together. My friends take joy in the Lord in worship and in love from the dwelling place of your heart where God lives.

“Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heaven! Praise him for his mighty works; praise his unequaled greatness!”
Psalm 150: 1-2
“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. “
Psalm 150: 6

Take joy in the journey praying, praising, laughing and encouraging others as you go. Wear comfortable shoes, spend some time in God’s Word and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: