Friday, October 31, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
TGIF Today God is First and Happy Halloween.  All is well here at 811.  Several trick-or-treaters, but fewer than last year. I think the Friday Night Lights may have slowed down the trick-or-treaters. 

The candle is lit…

Dear God, I want to know you in an authentic, profound relationship. Teach me to have full confidence in you, my God, for you are surely worthy of all my trust. I will focus y my eyes on your faithfulness rather than my own failures. I will look to you to help me fulfill the promise of all that my life can be.  Lord, you are the great promise keeper and I know I can count on your promises. I know you know of every wrong choice I have ever made and every opportunity I have missed and each mistake I have made. I know these life errors have caused you grief. Lord, I will never be able to thank you enough for the grace you offer as you meet me where I am and restore hope to my life. I love you Lord, in Jesus’ name, amen.

I am kind of a sequential learner. I learn stories and information in order; beginning to end. But today I began reading a short piece of writing, only 68 pages that tells and expounds on a story we have all heard all of our lives. The title of the book is Not a Silent Night by Adam Hamilton. It tells the story of Jesus as seen through the eyes of Mary, his mother beginning with the time near her death and ending with the birth of Jesus. It is a fascinating book. My time today allowed me to read approximately half of the piece of writing.  I have always believed that the greatest witness in scripture to the life of Christ was the mother of Jesus; Mary.  She and I have a few things in common.

I share this with you to offer that sometimes in order to put a spark in our spiritual lives we have to look at things from a different angle.  Sometimes our spiritual lives can become somewhat routine and maybe just a bit boring. And while I place great value in scripture study, pray and regular worship attendance is it possible that there are times that when we do these tasks God gets left out? Perhaps if we  do many of these things alone consider being part of a weekly fellowship group that studies scripture, has discussions and prays together is the spark our spiritual lives need.  Could we be so bold and courageous as to change some of our practices and pursue a deeper relationship with God by fellowshipping with others? Advent is coming soon and it is a time of preparation.  Traditions ae important, but making new traditions can be just as meaningful.  Step out on your faith and enjoy a greater abundant life. 

“The Lord takes pleasure in those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy and loving-kindness.”
Psalm 147: 11
Take joy in the journey praying, praising, laughing and encouraging others as you go. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: