Monday, October 27, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Monday!  All is well here at 811. 

The candle is lit…

Dear God of all creation and giver of every good and perfect gift. You my Lord exceed all things and love with a love so perfect that we cannot even begin to understand.  I come before you to ask you to use me to encourage others. Please empower me tomorrow to bless those around me with the spiritual gifts you have given. Lord, there are folks out there that need your love, grace and encouragement just to get through the day. You have loved us so very powerfully and with such compassion that we out of our thankfulness and gratitude  need to tell others of that great love.  Lord, help us to not be shy about sharing your love with others around us where we work and with whom we live. Thank you Lord for this great opportunity to encourage others in loving ways. I love you Lord, in Jesus’s name, amen.

Each of us sometime today used the gifts and talents given to us to further a career, improve ourselves, get someone ready for school or work or simply to survive the day.  Some of us may have gone to further our education to increase these gifts and be better able to do our jobs or careers. Those for whom we work trust us to do these jobs or perform the skills necessary to the best of our abilities each day.

We also have spiritual gifts that God has entrusted to us to help further the kingdom here on earth by helping others. God gave us these different gifts to be a blessing to others and to encourage those around us who are in need. Maybe you think you do not have spiritual gifts, but when you signed on to be a believer in Jesus those gifts were given to each of us.  Your gift could be praying, serving, providing comfort to someone just by listening, or being the minister of presence as you represent Jesus by simply sitting with someone who just does not want to be alone. These spiritual gifts can be taking food to a neighbor or making sandwiches for the local homeless shelter.  Our gift from God is the trusted privilege of showing the love of God in gracious ways to all those we encounter. And as Dolly Parton once said, “If you see someone without a smile, give them yours.” It is amazing how a smile can brighten someone’s day. Smiling is something I do often and to all I meet.  We are not called to use these spiritual gifts to make ourselves feel better but for the glory of God. The amazing thing that always happens to me is that even though I am serving to be a blessing to someone I always walk away knowing I have been blessed.  Be a blessing to someone and encourage them in some way and way and watch how God works in both of your lives.

“May those who fear You see me and be glad, because I wait for Your word.”
Psalm 119: 74
“Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant. Let your mercy come to me that I may live; for your law is my delight.”
Psalm 119: 76-77

Take joy in the journey praying, praising, laughing and blessing someone as you go.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene

No comments: