Saturday, July 26, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Saturday!  All is well here at 811. I think vacation is officially over. (Laundry is done.) Today was spent on Saturday errands; bank, grocery store, Walmart etc…I also have begun the enormous task of printing the pictures from our Alaskan cruise. I learned to do it very easily and with small expense at the Photo Canter at Walmart. I got as far as Ketchikan and stopped for the day. Bruce and I will return there tomorrow to work on them some more. I have almost 500 photos, but will not print them all. Also, I need to purchase a new candle. The one I light each night as I begin my meditation journal is almost used up. If you are reading this Arla, thank you again for the candle. This candle has become a very important part of my quiet time Maybe while at Walmart tomorrow…

Dear God, I come to you right now, just as I am. You accept receive and love me. Illuminate my life as this wonderful candle lights my office and keeps the light of you unquenchable love and hope always before me. I praise you that all fear and darkness abandons the space in which you inhabit especially the space you and I have created in my heart. I love you Lord. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Tonight my meditation tells the story of Charlotte Elliott. She was an artist, singer, composer and a spirited, charismatic woman. When she was thirty years old a disease captured her body causing her to be an invalid. She became depressed and gave up on her former activities and creativity. One day an evangelist named Caesar Milan visited Ms. Elliott and shared with her the value of her life and her importance to God. He told her that she must come to God just as she was at that moment in her life. She responded to this pastor’s words and began a life of faith and placed her illness in the hands of God; the master healer. Peace flooded her soul and in response to this blessed peace she wrote the fine old hymn, Just As I Am.

When I am experiencing darkness I too draw near to God and I claim Psalm 51: 10-13 Create in me a clean heart O God. Renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your Presence and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of my salvation and uphold me with thy free Spirit. Then I will teach transgressors thy ways and sinners will be converted unto Thee. “ I do not know if Pastor Milan had this passage in mind when he spoke with Ms. Elliott, but it calls for praises and a response. When I am tempted to feel discouraged, lost, forgotten I read this scripture and I am reminded that I am not alone and the light of God in the risen Christ overcomes the darkness.  And that I am called because I have been blessed with the Presence of God just as I am to respond and tell others of the light of God through Jesus.

“We shall not turn back from you; give us life, and we will call upon your name:  Restore us. O Lord God of Hosts! Let your face shine, that we may be saved.”
Psalm 81: 18-19
“it is now time for you to wake up from your sleep, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.”
Romans 13: 11
Take joy in the journey praying as we go unafraid to come to God just as we are. Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: