Friday, June 6, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
TGIF Today God is First!  Happy Friday!  We are home and all is well here at 811. I will be home until Dad is discharged and then I will go and stay with him for a few days until he gets his strength back . I need to get back on my radiation schedule.  He is 81 years old and with the exception of some very specific issues of heart bypasses and gall bladder removal he has never been sick. So if you combine, pneumonia, highly elevated heart rate, life threatening INR (cumidin) level, my sweet Dad became very sick. He was also beginning to fall due to extreme weakness from being so very ill. I got him to the Doc and the Doc sent him to the hospital as a direct admit on Wednesday.   IV antibiotics, steroids and wonderful hospital care are doing their work and he is feeling better each day. When I left him today he was smiling, telling stories and teasing nurses.  Thank you all for you prayers and being such mighty and faithful prayer warriors. 

Dear God, you know exactly what my loved ones need. I will continue to pray for Dad as I have for the last few days and pray with him and for him. I pray that he feels the comfort only you can give through the presence of his family. Lord, I look to you and ask you to fill my life and the life of my family with overflowing peace as Daddy heals. Please keep all of us in the palm of your hand especially Dad. Our family loves you Lord and is staying very close to you now.  In Jesus name , amen.

It has been quite a week.  I have missed writing each night. Dad lives out in the country and getting a signal is kind of hit and miss. Phone calls and computer work is not very easy out there.  But spending time with Dad is a really interesting experience. Seeing him fragile, frail and weak was really tough. It is an interesting experience to be the care giver of the one who has always given care to you. It is hard to know what to say when it is your parent who is ill and all you want to do is help.  While I am a trained pastoral care giver, it is my best role is just to be a daughter. While I cannot share his burden of illness I can express my love for him by just being near and hopefully being a comfort and letting him know he is not alone.  But I have learned some things in the last few days. Dad has fully placed his life in God’s hands. While Dad has been a man of faith he not always been very vocal about his faith.  But now if my brother or I ask him about what he thinks about a decision we either made or about to make before he gives an opinion he asks, “Have you talked to God about this?”  Dad knows where to start (even if he is stubborn about going to the Doc!) God hears the prayers of my praying Dad, his children, and those who are offering prayers on his behalf.  I am very blessed. 

“Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the end of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint.”
Psalm 61: 1-2
“I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.”
Psalm 57: 2
Take joy in the journey and pray for each other with an extra one for my Dad.  His name is Jerry Helvey. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink!  Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: