Tuesday, April 8, 2014


Greetings from Austin Street
Happy Tuesday!  All is well here at 811 except for a stubborn stopped up sink!  Bruce is working diligently to get it repaired so we can finish the dishes.  Completely awesome dinner tonight with Geni and Cody, Travis and Sarah and Cody’s Mom.  It was such a joy to have everyone around the table and hear laughter, stories and love in every word.  Families are forever, God is good and love wins!

Dear God, you know my heart and my emotions better than anyone. You know that I had a couple of weepy moments today. I began to have some thoughts and moments of anxiety about the surgery and treatment. I am not fearful for you are with me, my family and friends are supporting me emotionally and prayerfully and the team in the OR are well skilled and have compassion for their patients. My faith is strong and when I look upon the cross I see your arms stretched out in blessing. So Lord, when my tears of being scared come may I remember to look and see you clearly and keep company with me until the moment passes. Your faithfulness gives me great comfort and wonderful peace love you Lord. In Jesus name, amen.

Lately my nightly meditations speak of Biblical characters that exhibit acts of great faith, belief, hope or obedience. When I first went to MD Anderson with Casey I was pretty scared. A friend came to visit and said, “Gaylene, keep yourself covered in the Word.” As these biblical characters keep crossing my path I believe they have a story for me to think about. Tonight the meditation reminds me of Abraham and how He willingly did whatever God asked him to do because Abraham totally trusted God. God called Abraham, a friend. (I took one of those FB surveys the other night as to what Biblical Character are you most like and according to the survey I was most like Abraham.) For me Abraham’s story is always a story of great faith and how God blessed Abraham through his faith. Do you think Abraham was ever scared?  Abraham’s faith rested on his choice to believe in God and choosing to be obedient or to turn away. Abraham was willing to step out in faith believing that God would send him where He needed Abraham to go and give him the provision needed. While I have a pretty strong faith and I think I am as obedient as I think I can be. And I do believe God.  I am also a bit scared about the days to come.  A friend asked me today if I was scared about any of this. I said, somewhat, but I am not fearful. Being scared or anxious is like radiation. It is localized. Fear is like chemotherapy and is systemic.  Abraham trusted God, stepped out on his faith and maybe he was scared at times.  And God still called Abraham his friend. The song says, “I am a friend of God. I am a friend of God. He calls me friend. God almighty, Lord of glory you have called me friend.”  I give thanks that God who by His very Word called the universe into creation and became flesh and dwelt among us  still calls me friend even when I have moments of being scared.

“The Scriptures fulfilled which says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.’ And he was called the friend of God.”
James 2: 23
“Abraham’s faith and deeds worked together. He proved that his faith was real by what he did.”
James 2: 22
Take joy in the journey and give thanks that we are friends of God. Wear comfortable shoes, get some sleep and think pink! Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene


No comments: