Thursday, September 5, 2013


Greetings from Austin Street

Happy Wednesday!  God will make a way and works in ways we do not understand.  Today, after a full day of rehab, Bruce installed a piece of glass in a door for a client. I would never presume to understand the brain and how it retains certain information and loses some because of a stroke, but Bruce’s brain appears to have retained the ability to repair things as well as how to get to the homes of his clients. I do the driving. He navigates and here we go. Tonight I was the repairman’s helper and swept up as he worked. He may not be able to speak in words that any of us understand, but he is most assuredly able to communicate through action and the willingness of the client to connect with what is being communicated. Bruce was very insistent when he arrived home after rehab to get to the client’s home. I was not sure if it was impatience or excitement to do the work.  Either way it was such a joy to watch him work and be so happy. Today I saw a glimpse of God’s handiwork in the hands of my husband. Team Chrystie for the win! God is good and love wins.

“But as for me, I watch in hope for the LIRD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.”

Micah 7:7

The other morning I became overwhelmed by all of the layers of which my life is filled. I became emotional when one more layer was added. As I let my emotions get the better of me I prayed, “Jesus pray for me because I can’t.” Intercessory prayer is powerful prayer because we ask for the Holy Spirit to take our prayers to God with groans that words cannot express. These are the prayers that come from the depths of our hearts and are raised to heaven. These prayers are the prayers that are so heavy that we need help in raising them to heaven. We then watch, waiting on hope to see what God will do.  Here is the hard part; the waiting. We have been walking this road for only seven weeks. It seems like a year. The longer we have to wait the more we have to learn to trust God. Today, I heard God loud and clear through watching Bruce. Speech is not the only communication we understand. We can be witness to God’s handiwork through grace in action. I witnessed it in the confidence the client had in having Bruce make the repair. I witnessed Bruce quietly and efficiently complete the task to which he was called. God’s unfailing love and grace shows up all the time if we are train our eyes on God then we will see and some of us will speak with a mighty story to tell.

I am still going to pray without ceasing for Bruce’s language to return, but I am also going to look for the glimpses of God that happen before my very eyes.  Do I miss Bruce with words? Yes. But am I so grateful to witness to the goodness of God and His faithfulness that I believe all of the pieces of Bruce’s life will come together when it is time.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares on the LORD and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no reason for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce

PS Tomorrow we go for a checkup at the neurologist. This is the neurologist who said Bruce would not live through the night. Boy, is he in for a surprise!  Peace, gc


 

 

No comments: