Monday, July 15, 2013

Blessed Sunday to you all!


It has been a great day. I preached at Hurst Christian Church, my wonderful husband took me to lunch and I cleaned out a closet! Then, Bruce and I (but mostly Bruce) did the final edit on my final paper for the summer and SENT IT OFF!!!!! WOW!! I have a couple of other projects to complete before classes begin in August. 

Geni sent wonderful pictures of her and Cody on the beach and everyone looks like they are having a really great time.

Prayer: Loving Lord, full of kindness and grace, tonight let us enter Your gates with thanksgiving and Your courts with praise. Our hearts are thankful for a day set aside for worship and praise to You. Thank you for prayers, Your Word, songs, preaching and fellowship with a community who loves You and each other. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”

Psalm 100: 4-5

When our hearts are thankful they are filled with joy. When we forget to be thankful and forget to offer the sacrifice of praise then our souls suffer. Sometimes we forget to receive the blessings from God with gratitude. Just like any new behavior it has to be practiced.

It is easy to be thankful for really obvious blessings, but sometimes difficult to be grateful for situations we would have never chosen such as…a difficult child, or tension in a marriage or home, health issues or employment.  The author of my meditation calls this “counterintuitive thankfulness.” This type of thankfulness is only possible when we trust God at the deepest level. It also takes practice and self-discipline to be able to honestly be grateful when our circumstances feel just the opposite. It is a lesson I am trying very much to learn.

So my friends, let us work together. I will pray for you and you pray for me that we will work on coming into the Presence of God with Thanksgiving persistently when we receive blessings that make us glad and especially when it doesn’t look like a blessing we would have chosen so that God can take this situation and turn it into victory.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude, let us cast our cares on the Lord and get some sleep. God is up all night anyway so there is no need for all of us to be awake. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.



I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: