Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Happy Tuesday and Happy Birthday Casey.

Casey would have been 29 years old today. We remember him each year with a family meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and red velvet cake.  We laugh and remember him in funny and happy ways. We miss him so much and work at remembering only the times that make us smile.

Prayer alert:  I ask you to lift my Aunt Linda in prayer. She is having some long needed surgery on her neck tomorrow. She has been in pain for about two years.  Thank you.

Prayer:  “When I walked through the door, I sensed Your presence and I knew it was a place where love abounds. For this is a temple, the God we love abides in, for we are standing in Your Presence on Holy Ground.” Lord, I seem to sing this to you a lot lately.  Thank you for Your unfailing love.  Your praise reaches to the ends of the earth. When I come before You, Lord, please lead me to just think about Your love and how it will guide forever. Lord, in Your mercy, hear this prayer. Amen.

“Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love. Like your name O God, your praise reaches to the ends of the earth; your right hand is filled with righteousness…For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end.”

Psalm 48: 9-10, 14

Lately my prayer life has been sort of disjointed. I will begin to pray and then my mind goes to another subject. It is sort of like trying to speak in incomplete sentences. My prayer life was leaving me feeling frustrated. Then I began to pray the first sentence of the scripture passage, “meditate on your unfailing love.”  I am beginning to think about God and the unfailing love given so freely, generously drawing God even closer by whispering God’s name and then offering thanksgiving, praise. I then offer up the names of those for whom I have been charged to pray. This may sound silly, but by doing this I am inviting God into my prayer life claiming that “Surely the Lord is in this place.” When God has been invited into this time of prayer then I am asking God to have conversation with me meaning that I have to sometimes be quiet and listen. I think it is at those times that I am going to practice thinking about God’s unfailing love and grace and how it has brought me through really tough times and everyday living.

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint. Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some sleep. Cast your cares upon God and go to sleep because God is up all night anyway. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.


No comments: