Monday, April 22, 2013


Blessed Sunday to you all. 

It has been a busy day. I presided at the Table twice this morning and attended the youth meeting.  Yesterday I attended the visioning conference at church.  It has been a busy weekend in the life of this ministerial intern.

In the aftermath of the week’s events I spent time composing a thoughtful meditation for the Table this morning.  So tonight out of my own exhaustion I thought I would share the meditation from this morning. This is the last week of classes and I have much to do.

When tragic events occur I try to keep myself grounded in God’s Word to help me stay focused on God. Romans 12: 2 says, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Table Meditation

In the days following Jesus crucifixion and resurrection the disciples gathered together in a single place, locked their doors in fear for their lives. They were filled with grief at the loss of their Savior and Lord and they were most likely emotionally exhausted. Then Jesus, in His perfect timing, appears in their midst and, doing what Jesus does best, offers them the words they need to hear, “Peace be with you.”

As the events of this week unfolded, many found themselves behind closed doors out of fear. Filled with grief and suffering from emotional exhaustion—I believe it is for these moments in Kaufman, Boston and West that God came to live in the life of Jesus, that God died our death on the cross and rose to life to remind us of the words of the psalmist, “I will fear no evil for You are with me.”  We have traveled from Friday to Sunday, from despair to hope and out of the Valley of Shadows to God’s Table in God’s own house from death to resurrection so that we can encounter Jesus doing what Jesus does best…speaking the words we need to hear; “Peace be with you.”

Take joy in the journey remembering that hope does not disappoint.  Wear comfortable shoes, pray with a heart filled with gratitude and get some peaceful sleep. Love you all, Bruce and Gaylene.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: