Monday, December 17, 2012


Greetings from Austin Street

Blessed Sunday to you all.  Today I presided over Communion at the early and late services at Rush Creek.  I was a little nervous, but Pastor Chris kept telling me that the bottom line is that as long as everyone is served communion.  I wore one of the stoles given to me by the son of Pastor Susan who just recently passed away.  I closed the Words of Institution with the words she always said as she invited the congregation to the table, “Come and eat. The table is set.” 

On Friday morning as the tragedy in Newtown began to unfold I was on Facebook.  I watched throughout the day to the reactions of my FB friends.  The reactions went from shock and horror to anger and blame to finally to sorrow and sadness and finally to prayer.  One of my pastor friends posted a message sent by another pastor after 911.  I shared this message as a part of my communion meditation today. 

“Gather around the table and share a meal. Make a space for questions. You don’t have to have answers, simple give the gift of listening. Then if you are a family of faith, say a prayer. Pray for the victims. Pray for the one that caused this horrible event. This horrible deed was planned in the darkness. Light a candle. Tell your children that they are the light of Christ. Each and every day as your sons, daughters and others  leave the house tell them how much you love them and remind them they are the light of Christ in the world that helps the world and community heal.

On Friday Victoria, a first grade teacher hid her students in cabinets and closets and took the bullets.  Do you suppose she thought, “This is my body given for you. On the night He was betrayed, our Lord Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it and gave it to His disciples saying, take and eat, this is My body broken for you. Do this for the remembrance of Me. Again after supper He took the cup and told His disciples this blood is the new covenant in My blood given for you for the forgiveness of sins. Do this as often as you drink of the cup.  Do this for the remembrance of me.” 

No matter what you have done, there is always a place at the table of grace and tender mercies for all who desire forgiveness of their sins.

Take joy in the journey.  Sleep well. Tell those you love how much you love them and wear comfortable shoes.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis

No comments: