Wednesday, October 10, 2012


Happy Wednesday! 

This Reading Week is flying by! Today I completed the first of my tasks for the week.  I cleaned off the desk in the dining room and placed my books from seminary in my new book case in the study.  The book case in our bedroom was emptied and placed in the study. (I will reload that book case tomorrow.) The dining room is now looking more like a dining room and far less like a graduate student study.  I actually began to do some studying this evening.  Next week, we tackle the book of Luke. 

Prayer: “Lord, draw my heart away from the full of the world and the whispers of the flesh, and let me delight in You and You alone. In the busyness of this day, let me not forget You. Let me hear Your sweet voice above the clutter and chatter of life on the earth. Keep me from becoming so bogged down in trivial pursuits that I forget that I am Your child, destined to live with you forever. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.”

“One thing I have desired of the LORD, that will I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.”
Psalm 27: 4

The psalmist declared, “One thing I desire…”  I look at my weekly calendar and it is filled with classes and activities about God.  I have lots of busyness about God, but busyness about God does not give anyone an intimate relationship with God.  An intimate relationship with God requires something different.

  “…to dwell in the house of the LORD…” Bruce and I have been married almost 32 years.  We have lived together for that 32 years in the same dwelling whether house or apartment.  The old saying goes, “You never really get to know someone until you brush your teeth with them.”  I rise with Bruce each day and I sleep with Bruce each night. And in between through the magic of telephones and text messages we stay in contact with each other throughout the day.

Our relationship with God needs to be as intimate as those with whom we live, love and brush our teeth.  When we rise we need to give thanks to God that we are granted one more day to worship and praise through prayer, study asking to be a blessing in someone’s life today.  Throughout the day continue to seek God out in the everyday occurrences and people we meet recognizing the goodness and sweetness of the loving God who created us.  When we go to sleep come to God and say “Good night.” 

Desiring God and taking time to worship individually and with others who believe acknowledges to God our dependence upon Him.  In this relationship we realize and recognize forgiveness, grace given and the changes in ourselves.  We also will see hope for the future and strength for each day.  Brush your teeth with Jesus!

Take joy in the journey and get to know God.  Wear comfortable shoes and get some sleep.  Count your blessings and continue to pray for Tatum.  Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.


I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: