Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy Thursday!

Well, in just one more day Geni will have completed her first week of teaching and I, my first full week in graduate school. We have each had new learning curves to figure out. So far I have had only one day where parking was great and the rest parking was a nightmare. Today I got a parking ticket because the parking meter worked for two spaces. Oh, well. I will learn. I am also working out a study schedule. I am trying to work out on which days to study for which classes. So far, I go to class, go to the mall and walk and back home for lunch with Bruce and then I study.

But today I had three extraordinary things occur. First, on my drive to class it began to rain and I actually turned on the wipers. Then I looked to my left and saw the most perfect rainbow I have ever seen. I followed it across the sky and it had made a full arc from horizon to horizon. All I could think of was the line from a song we sing in the Praise Team, “Great is the measure of our Father’s love.” Next, I found a seat closer to the front of my Old Testament class today and sat next to a young man. His name is Casey. He is about the same size as our Casey with a kind and very sweet heart and very willing to help this little white haired rookie when necessary.

Last, today my professor was speaking on Genesis. This woman is amazing and I really love her class. At Brite she is the reigning expert on the writings of the Old Testament. She was speaking of being made in the likeness of God. She then said, “When you get up in the morning and look in the mirror remember that you are made in the likeness of God. Don’t say, I need to lose 20 pounds or I need to gain 20 pounds (I will never say those words!). Step into the likeness of God because if you don’t then those you meet will miss out on a relationship with God.” I was completely blown away at the simplicity of this piece of wisdom.

So my dear friends, I am my own worst critic and yes, I really do need to lose 20 pounds. But I cannot let my own criticism of myself define who I am. For the great I AM has already defined me as being made in his likeness and called me His child.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Remember who we are and how much the Father loves us. Love you all, my sisters and brothers, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

PS – Mom had a “scope” done on her heart today. They decided that what they had seen was a shadow rather than a clot or anything else. Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: