Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happy Saturday!

Travis took first place in his power lifting meet tonight with the most weight successfully lifted for the night at 660 pounds. His goal is 700 pounds. Congrats Travis!

Bruce is doing fantastic! He drove to Colleyville for a Kairos team meeting and has been throwing the football with Travis (gently). He has been handed off from the surgeon to the cardiologist. He had been experiencing some lightheadedness upon standing so the doc took him off of one of the blood pressure medicines and the issue resolved itself. What a champion!

Geni has completed her first week of teaching. Her job is difficult as she teaches a class of 7 special needs children. She is doing a fantastic job! She is also still working in the evening at Starbucks at Sundance Square in Fort Worth. She is a very determined young lady and we are so proud of her.

As for me, I have completed my first week as a full time graduate seminary student. This has become my life; study, drive to class, study, go to class, study, walk at the mall, come home, eat lunch and study. The process repeats itself Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I think I will take Friday afternoon off. Today I studied all afternoon and during the waiting time at Travis’ competition. I am still working out what this new norm means. Hopefully by the end of this coming week I will have more of the details down (like when to arrive at school to park reasonably close!)

Prayer: “My Father, I am humbled by the grace You show me each day. As this day begins, I pray that You will shower me with Your love and guidance. I desperately need You to guide my steps and light my way. I know that Your desire is for us to serve and love the special people You have brought into our lives. I pray that You will help me be the person that others need today. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.”

1 Peter 3:7 “Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.”

I had to read this passage a couple times before I got past the part about the “weaker vessel. “ What I think this really says to us is that we cannot go through this Christian life alone. I think in each relationship we all go through times when one of the two or one of the group or even in a family is emotionally needier or spiritually needier that the other member(s). When that happens we as members of the family of God lift up and encourage that one who is in need. Today’s verse speaks of being “joint heirs” in receiving God’s grace. We as believers and brothers and sisters in Christ give encouragement and enjoy the gift of grace together. It is through the encouragement that we learn to live our lives according to God’s purpose. If we do not surround ourselves with those who are believers instead of those who are not walking in God’s grace then our spiritual growth becomes very stunted. When we keep ourselves in the company of God’s fellow heirs then we learn ways to grow spiritually and to help others grow in God’s grace.

So my friends, call your best buds together, don your favorite walking shoes and step into the likeness of God so that when others see you they, too, will find a relationship with God and walk in His grace, too.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe and I believe God.

Praises! Mom came home from the hospital. She seems to be fine and glad to be home. Thank you for your prayers. gc

No comments: