Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Thursday and St. Patrick’s Day!

Remember a couple of weeks ago I shared with you that I was going to go on the 40 pounds in 40 days weight loss plan. (I really hate the word diet!) Anyway I have lost almost 8 pounds in about 10 days. That was up until yesterday. I had an “Unwich” sandwich supplied by Geni and Travis from Jimmy John’s for lunch. So far so good, right? And then, after preparing a meal consisting of 20 pounds of pork, 25 pounds of roasted garlic potatoes with Ranch sauce, green beans, red velvet cupcakes and lemon bars, I “fell off the wagon.” No, I did not eat all of this food, but I did partake. There was not an item on the menu that is on the prescribed weight loss plan. I simply said to myself, “tonight, I don’t care.” I made an excuse and a choice. Consequently, I did not even weigh this morning and now I am back on the “wagon” and following the plan correctly. I realize it will take some time to reverse the effects of the pigout, but I am faithfully beginning again.

I began to think about this in another light. This is how God deals with our sin. No matter what it is we do that separates us from Him (or our diets) when we ask Him for forgiveness, by His grace, God grants forgiveness and allows us to begin once again. The good news is that we do not have to wait until the next day or even the next meal to receive forgiveness. God’s grace and forgiveness are immediate. We live under the blanket of God’s grace with each breath we take. And when we ask for forgiveness it is a further measure of His grace so graciously and compassionately given out of His love.

The next step is to repent. We must change. Changing is the hard work. The rest of the good news is that God works with us through the journey of repentance. Do we have a phenomenal God or what? God forgives us when we have deliberately messed up and turned our back on Him and then waits with open arms as we walk back toward Him. The point is that God never leaves us or turns His back on us even when we turn away from Him. My friends …that is love!

Take joy in the journey. Wear a bit o’ green today with some comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continue to lift each other up in prayer remembering that everyone is fighting some type of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: