Sunday, March 20, 2011

Blessed Sunday and Happy first day of Spring!

Here is the newest project at the Chrystie household. Several weeks ago one of Bruce’s clients was cleaning out and was getting rid of a wrought iron patio table and chairs. With the exception of needing a bit of paint the furniture is in perfect condition. Our problem was that we did not have a patio to set under it. So, on Friday I went to Home Depot and purchased 4 wooden stakes, a spool of pink twine and my own way cool professional tape measure! I staked off the area, roped it off with my pink string and measured it with my tape measure. I placed a beautiful pot of pink flowers in the center of the table and welcomed spring. Since I am really not equipped to help with construction I helped in this way!

Saturday we went to Home Depot and purchased bricks, a ton or two of sand and edging. Today, Travis and I picked up the bricks, sand and edging and placed it in the side yard. Later this week and part of next, Bruce and Travis will complete construction of a beautiful brick patio to go with our furniture. I am so excited. Please offer a prayer for great weather and safety for the men in our house. I promise to keep you posted and place a picture on the entry as soon as it is completed.

Song of Songs 2:12 “Flowers appear on the earth…the cooing of doves is heard in our land.”

This morning before preparing to attend worship I read a beautiful devotional on the first day of spring. Parts of this winter in Texas were particularly harsh with the icy weather in February (just a few weeks ago!) which makes spring an especially welcome friend. The yard is beginning to green a bit, and the plants that survived the icy weather are beginning to show their green leaves with a few hints of the budding flowers to come. As I sat out in the area where the patio will soon be and talked to Mom, I heard the birds singing and remembered the bird nest that has been made in the corner of our front porch (a first for us) and thought spring arrived in its subtle glory today.

In the meditation I read this morning the writer spoke of a small tree in the yard that was withered and lifeless with parched leaves. The writer wanted to yell, “Little tree, if you’ll just let go. God will give you fresh new leaves, and you’ll be lovely again.” Then Patsy, the writer, thought “What do you need to let go of? Do you still clutch to parts of the old life?”

The old life she was speaking of was her life before a personal relationship with Jesus. How many of us still carry around part of our old life? Maybe we haven’t confessed a grudge, some bitterness, a sin we are holding against someone, gossip, yelling at traffic or a hurt never reconciled. Whatever it is may be keeping us from bursting forth with new life.

Jesus came so that we can lay aside the “shroud” of our former life. God does not rehabilitate his people. He resurrects them. I know it is the season of Lent, but God won’t mind an early resurrection if we are willing to move out of the darkness of winter and wake anew.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Remember to lift each other up in prayer each day for each of us is fighting some sort of battle. Love you all so very much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert! Former Happener and Happener leader, Chris Dow was in an auto accident in Florida recently. I am not certain of the specifics, but saw a picture of him in a hospital room with slings on both arms. Please pray for his full recovery.

No comments: