Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Wednesday!

Today the first round of cuts was announced through emails and meetings for educators throughout the state of Texas. This is a devastating time in our state for people in the education system. Several of my friends will be out of work in a few short months. I am asking you to pray for all who are involved in education. I also ask you to pray for those who are graduating from college this year. Geni was heartbroken with the news of the cuts.

Prayer: “Father, as Your child I purpose to abide in You today. Open Your Word to me. Teach me to pray. Give me grace to keep my focus on You. May I walk with You in the following of the Holy Spirit. My desire is for You to bear fruit in my life this day. In Your name, Amen”

John`5:4 “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you should abide in Me.”

My best friend, Carme, sends me a text message most mornings. It is usually a passage of scripture that I particularly need to hear at that time or sometimes it is a song that has particular meaning to both of us. The meditation I read for this passage says that the only way to be a “legitimate believer is to be an abiding believer.” To be an abiding believer takes two qualities; persistence and the faithfulness to remain. To remain means to stay and to persist is to never stop following the path of Jesus. We cannot bear fruit in our own lives, but if we remain in Christ and persistently follow the path laid before us then Christ will bear fruit in our lives.

The way we abide in Jesus and He in us is by spending time with Him in prayer, meditation and conversation. When we realize that we can do nothing without Christ in our lives then we gain confidence in the “sufficiency of Christ alone.” Abiding is the part that takes time. When we walk with Christ each day and allow Him to have lordship over our lives then we abide in Him and He can abide in us. When we are persistent in our pursuits to follow then the spiritual fruit Christ desires in each of us is produced.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers remembering that everyone is fighting some kind of battle. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: