Monday, February 7, 2011

Blessed Sunday to you all!

By the end of this writing there will be a new Super Bowl Champion. David Russell will have been home for several hours watching the Super Bowl on his TV and Bruce will be in San Antonio with Carme and Dave (he arrived safely, Praise God!). Also, the traffic exodus from this city has begun. I think I will just stay home with Jackson and Lamar and pray Geni and Travis will arrive home safely. I just read an email for Dave thanking everyone for their prayers, support and all of the food. By the way, the Green Bay Packers Have Won the Super Bowl!

2 Corinthians 2:15 “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”

I am the oldest grandchild in our family. I grew up with my Mamo. I grew up in her kitchen and at her sewing machine, but mostly in her kitchen. And like many women of her generation she wore the Estee Lauder fragrance “Youth Dew.” If you have ever been in the presence of this particular scent it becomes unforgettable. It is so strong that you can open the lid and wave it around the room without ever spraying it and the scent is in the room. It has such a pungent odor that it gets in the clothes in the closet and permeates the fabrics of furniture. When I would go to her closet it always smelled of the fragrance of Youth Dew. After she passed away I received her couch when her things were dispersed. I remember very clearly after the couch was placed in our apartment I sat down on it in the evening for the first time and turned my face toward the high back of the couch. It smelled of Youth Dew and bought back every memory I ever had of my beloved Mamo.

Odors, smells, scents are the strongest trigger for memories we have. They are also a way to identify someone. I wear Elizabeth Taylor’s White Diamonds. When someone comes close to me, stands near me or gives me a hug often they will ask if I am wearing this particular fragrance.

As believers in Christ we are asked to put on Christ every day. Just as I put on my favorite perfume each day I need to remember to put on the aroma of Christ. The aroma of Christ emits from our hearts and should permeate our souls. The fragrance pouring forth from the life of Christ that lives within us should fill the rooms we occupy with a sweetness that can only be born from one who spends time in God’s holy presence. This fragrance of peace, gladness, loving kindness and welcoming brings calmness even in the darkest of places and times.

So friends…what fragrance we put on each day? Do we put on a fragrance of moodiness, crossness, angry talk at traffic or at our loved ones before we leave home or after we get to work? Or do we put on the loveliness of Christ?

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Let us continually remember to pray for each other each day. Everyone is fighting some sort of battle. Love you all and thanks for your fervent and healing prayers for David. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God

No comments: