Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Monday!

Happy Birthday Ken! My wonderful brother turned the big 5—0 today. We are 5 years and 8 days apart in age. I would have never guessed growing up that both of us would become educators. He spent the day working on his pool and playing with his beautiful granddaughter, baby Holly. We will celebrate our birthdays together on Thanksgiving Day along with the remainder of the family.

1 Corinthians 13:1 “Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal”

1 Corinthians 13:13 “And now abides faith, hope and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

Today I found an old spiral notebook that was not completely used up. As I was looking through it I discovered it had old class notes from my Christian history class and a couple of papers I had written. I tore out the notes and threw away the papers. The papers have long outlived their service and I had not reason to keep them. I remember studying really hard for that class, but what I remember the most was Dr. Lee.

Casey had slipped into a chemotherapy induced coma and was not waking up. On that day there was a test scheduled in the class. I did not want to leave Casey and tried to contact Dr. Lee at Brite through phoning and email. Dr. Lee received my email and responded just prior to the test telling me that he would not ask me to leave Casey’s bedside and that he would email the test. I took the test in Casey’s hospital room that day and emailed it back. Dr. Lee acted in love that day. An act of random kindness (ARK) came to me that day.

Only what is done in Love is what lasts and is remembered. Pastor Joel told me today that the words of those who have completed their master’s degrees and PhD’s have bound documents in the library. I am told these papers are covered in dust and are rarely if ever opened. Their words will be forgotten as will the words I write almost nightly. For the things of this world are forgotten, but because God is love, only the work of God remains.

Jesus was God’s greatest work. Jesus is God’s love revealed to us and by the power of the Holy Spirit God’s love is in us. The papers I write as I journey through seminary will be forgotten as soon as they are graded and returned, but how I act in love is the real training ground for the ministry to which I have been called. The patient in the hospital will not care what grade I got on some paper I wrote. That patient will care that God’s loving representative is at their bedside to comfort them, ready to pray, laugh or cry and assist any way I can.

Tonight my meditation says, “The fame of the world, the applause given to the one who speaks with the tongues of men and of angels, who attracts admiration and compels attention, it is all given to what is passing, is really worthless, if it lacks that God-quality, Love.” So my friends, this Thanksgiving week, act in love towards friends and family alike. Do not act for applause or fame, but act in love because of the One who loves us so much that He gave His greatest gift. Let us give thanks with grateful hearts.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

Prayer alert! My best friend, Carmella Russell had a successful surgery today in San Antonio. Please keep her in your prayers as she heals and is restored to full health and well being. Thanks. Love you, gc

No comments: