Monday, November 22, 2010

Blessed Sunday!

Worship was wonderful today! We celebrated Christ the King Sunday today. Christ the King Sunday is the last Sunday in the church year. Next week begins Advent. I also had a conversation with Pastor Joel this morning and he was very helpful concerning my problem with academic writing. He gave a great explanation of what I needed to do and then agreed to (along with Bruce) to read my papers prior to me submitting them to my professors. This means I will have to have them ready sometime before the night before so them both can read and help me repair the problems. I am thankful for these two men who are answers to prayer. Please pray for them and me as I learn to be a better writer.

Luke 23: 38 “A sign was fastened to the cross above Him with these words: This is the King of the Jews.”

We often think of Jesus as friend; someone who is always with us walking along in this journey of life. We also often think of Jesus as the Good Shepherd; someone who leads us and guides us, but how about Jesus as King?

A king is someone who holds great power over his subjects and demands obedience from them. A symbol of being a king is the crown he wears. A king expects his subjects to willingly accept his commands and to carry out the tasks immediately. An earthly king might not react in a kind manner if their commands are not carried out. Pilate did not like the fact that Jesus claimed Himself a king and this proclamation sent Jesus to the cross. Jesus willingly traded His heavenly crown for a crown of thorns. God demanded complete obedience from Jesus. Jesus complied with complete obedience throughout His ministry out of love for His Father and to model the godly life for each of us.

When Pastor Joel posed the question, “Do you think of Jesus as King?” I had an answer not many will have. Not to very long after Casey died I was in worship singing with the praise team. We were singing “This Kingdom,” and all of a sudden I had an image in my mind of Casey, kneeling before the Father with his hands raised in worship in praise singing this song. My answer to Pastor Joel’s question is “yes.”

I don’t know if others have this image of Jesus as King, but I do because I know Casey sees Jesus as King all of the time and into eternity. Casey now acts in obedience without a moment’s hesitation because he sees Jesus face to face and lives in the Kingdom of Love. Perhaps we should start practicing living a life of obedience and service so when we are face to face with the Jesus we will proclaim “Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords.” Amen!

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes. Count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: