Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy last day of May!

WOW! I am writing later than usual tonight as I have been working on end- of-the-year school stuff most of the day. I am a bit tired, but my day is not complete unless I spend a few moments in the Word and in prayer. I look forward to summer in part because I usually write in the morning on the deck while it is still cool, with some fresh coffee and an unclouded brain!

Psalm 50:23 “Whoever offers praise glorifies Me.”

I learned a couple of years ago that the best way to defeat Satan is to offer up praise in times when it is so hard to praise. Surrendering our will to God and being obedient do not hold a candle to the vanquishing power of praise. “A heart full of joy is the best weapon against all evil.” (God Calling May 30)

Some of you know and may have experienced the feast or famine of owning your own business. Bruce has a home repair business and the phone has been nearly silent since before Christmas. It was difficult to be thankful and to offer praise during this long dry spell, but we tried our best. The phone has begun to ring once again and each time someone calls to ask Bruce to come and look at a job we just sing “Praise God from whom all blessings flow.”

Giving praise and being thankful is just like learning to do anything. It takes practice. I read about Dolly Parton this evening just before writing. She is a woman of faith and someone who prays and gives thanks throughout the day and it helps keep her grounded in her faith. She says she prays before she does anything and God blesses her with His presence.

Praying throughout the day brings calmness and peace as the day progresses and reminds me that God is present. His promise to never leave us or forsake us is not just for times of trouble, but for the daily tasks of the day. As these last four days of school present themselves I know there will be plenty of opportunities to practice praise! So as always, I ask for your prayers this last week of school, that our phone will continue to ring and Bruce will continue to work and I will be praying for all of you.

Take joy in the journey. Wear comfortable shoes, count your blessings and say your prayers. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: