Saturday, September 19, 2009

Happy Saturday!

Tonight I would like to write about finding joy.

John 15:11 “These things have I spoken unto you…that your joy might be full.”

I remember when I was in Houston with Casey and it seems that things were wrong with every turn and I got tired of Satan beating me up moment by moment. The road was so long and hard that I did not think I could endure one more set back and Satan knew my heart. My salvation was that God knew my heart better and I finally gave notice to Satan that he no longer had any power here. I remember printing those words on paper and posting them proudly on the wall; adding to the wallpaper Casey and I had created. It was at that point that I changed my attitude and decided to “take joy in the journey.” From that day on I began to try and find any blessing no matter how seemingly small and dwell on the gift that God had given.

Our friends Carme and Dave have walked some really hard roads in the last year or so. David has been bed-bound for quite some time recovering from pressure sores. He has to have assistance with many things and the home health nurse comes a couple of times per week to help and check on him. But his primary care taker is Carme. Carme has had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and then two repairs to that surgery. They have had a really tough year.

Now Carme has been offered and accepted a teaching position with San Antonio ISD. She had to make a really difficult choice. She was offered the job a week after her last surgery, but was not sure her new principal would afford her time to heal a bit more before beginning her teaching duties. On the same day, she and Dave sent their daughter back to college in Washington. In Carme’s words “it was bittersweet.” Here is what she had been waiting for and the timing was really off.

Carme surrendered the whole situation to God and His time. Carme has had to really hunt for blessings, but here are the blessings she has received: First, her doctor released her to work as long as she does not lift anything. Next, Dave is going to have to have more surgery. That means he will be in inpatient care through Thanksgiving. The blessing is that Carme will be teaching full time and getting that routine established and Dave will be receiving care 24/7. I know this blessing may seem like a stretch, it is a blessing for which we are all being thankful. God has made a way where there seemed to be no way.

Sometimes we have to search for the hidden joy in life. When we search for that hidden joy, we are delighting in the Lord. I’ll bet God claps His hands in joy when we find goodness in a situation that seems to be impossible. The Word tells us “With God all things are possible.”

Times are tough right now for so many people. If the road seems long, bumpy or full of pot holes, remember the teachings of Christ and find your joy in Him.

Take joy in the journey and hug your babies. Love, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: