Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Happy Wednesday!

Colossians 2: 6,7 “ As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him; Rooted and built up in Him.” (yes, I know this was last night’s scripture, but there has been a further development with my plant.)

Just an update on my New Guinea Impatiens…this morning as I was walking out the door I discovered my beautiful plant was face down on the porch and its pot on the other side of the porch completely separated from the plant. I almost cried. The storm blew it over and the plant spent the night face down. I righted the plant and went on to work. When I arrived home after school the plant did not look too bad. It is a bit flat on one side, but it has good strong stems and a wonderful root system.

What I have discovered is that I am going to have to get the plant a larger pot and one that will stand up to the storm a bit better. (The original pot is a thin plastic one.) As I was telling this story to my friends at prayer group this morning, we talked about having deep roots. If you read my journal entry last night I spoke about having deep roots. My beautiful plant has outgrown its pot and needs a larger pot. The roots need more room to grow and spread out so the flowers on the plant can continue to grow.

Sometimes we need for our roots to grow. As we grow in Christ and become more deeply rooted in His Word and in our knowledge of him through our prayer life we need bigger pots for our roots to grow. Remember the truth about plants, the deeper the roots the taller and stronger the plant. The stronger the plant the better it will withstand the storm. But the container for the plant is important also. One of our group members talked about the thin plastic pot as compared to the clay pot. In order for us to grow in this Christian life we need to read and study God’s word, have a strong prayer life and surround ourselves with people who are strong believers who can help protect us with prayer, emotional and physical support.

Back to my plant. This plant has now weathered two storms back to back. It suffered from the heat and needed a drink and then from the wind, rain and hail and it seems to be doing okay.

How do we compare to this plant? Is our root system strong enough to withstand the heat, stress at work, home or the storms that life throws at us such as crisis of health, finances, employment or other events that soak us in despair? I not only hope that God will stand with me, but will take up what is beyond my root system to handle. God plants His seeds of love, grace and forgiveness in us. It is our job to cultivate those seeds with His Word, worship, prayer and fellowship with other believers. My prayer is that God will plant us where He wants us and that we will bloom where we are planted.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: