Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Wednesday! The butterfly count is 11. We are doing end of the year testing at school. The kids are thrilled because we are not doing any regular work. I did not assign a spelling list or any homework for the week.

Luke 4: 18-19 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me for He has anointed me to bring Good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see and the oppressed will be set free and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.” John 6: “I came down from heaven to do what God wants me to do, not what I want to do.”

Okay I know I have spent three writings on this same scripture passage, but I keep being brought back to it so I must be meant to continue to meditate on it until I grasp its meaning.

Jesus spoke these words just after His baptism and 40 days in the wilderness. In the waters of baptism Jesus was obedient to God and received His commissioning into His ministry. During the 40 days of trial and temptation Satan hammered Jesus with every possible earthly pleasure and power trip. Jesus, in obedience to God, fasted, prayed to receive instruction for the ministry in which He was about enter. When Jesus emerged from the wilderness He went to the temple knowing that all roads would lead to the cross, and the road must begin at the synagogue. Jesus stood before the elders and announced why He was there. Jesus defined His job description to the elders and congregation and then went about doing what God had called Him to do.

As a teacher (especially in May) I have occasion to ask my students; “Why are you here?” I usually ask them this because they have already decided that school is over with for the year and they need not work anymore. Aren’t we glad that Jesus did not quit before he reached the cross. His work was not complete until He emptied Himself for our sin. He completed His task and then He returned to the Father.

So here is the question for the night. Why are you here? What task has been assigned to you by God? The passage in John tells us that Jesus came to earth to do what God asked Him to do, not what Jesus wanted to do. What has God asked you to do? God has asked all of us to be His agents, His representatives, His ambassadors and His servants on earth. God has asked us to tell others about Him, to tell others our salvation story and tell what God has done for us and then help those who are in need of God’s love and compassion.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

PS The hospital sent my Uncle Gene home today. I will update as I find out particulars. Please continue to pray for him and Imogene. Thanks, gc

No comments: