Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy Thursday! The butterfly count is 10.

One more thing on the check-off- list has been checked off. Tonight was the spring concert for Lamar Choirs. It was the final concert for the Chrystie singers as members of the Lamar Choir program. The next time they sing at Lamar it will be as alumni at the close of the concert when the choirs all sing The Lord Bless You and keep You.

This benediction holds so many memories for me. Mrs. Worley’s(director of Lamar Choirs) Dad was my high school principal. As a choir student in Sherman High School we closed our concerts with the same benediction. I count it such a joy that my children closed so many of their concerts with the same piece. This is also the choral benediction sung at the celebration of life service for Casey and sung by the Lamar Acapella choir and guests. It was a bit of a bitter sweet evening as the Casey Chrystie Memorial Scholarship fund was announced. This scholarship fund will help provide scholarships for students to attend All-State choir camps in the summer. The concert was wonderful and more than a few tears were shed as the benediction was sung.

Luke 24: 48 [Jesus said to them,] “You are witnesses of these things.”

As a parent we are given the most amazing gift. We are blessed to witness our children as they grow from infancy into adulthood. We watch them take their first steps on the ground, their first pedal to the medal from tricycles and bikes to cars. We watch them study, slack-off and cram for tests. We watch them walk out the door on their first dates and if we are so fortunate we will be witness to their graduations, marriages and children. Forgive the nostalgia, but as we graduate our youngest there are many things to remember, for which to be thankful and for which to look forward.

Bruce had an opportunity to share at the open mic time at his last Bible Study Fellowship meeting. He shared about the last year and a half of our lives with the men at the meeting. Bruce shared about how some parents who lose children to death are never allowed to say good-bye or share in the last months, days or moments of their lives. They tragically lose their children to accident, suicides or other sudden death events. Bruce shared that we were so blessed to have been able to spend the last year of Casey’s life with him. We literally shared in every aspect of his life and got to know our son in such precious ways. Every day became a blessing because we got to experience Casey’s faith and strength in Christ. We were there when the diagnosis was pronounced and we were there when he went home to the Father. We were witness to the life of Christ as enacted in our son during the time in between.

Jesus told His disciples that they were witnesses to these things. They were witnesses to the life, death and resurrection of Christ. Now they were to go and share His life with the world. They were not to stop, or hide or run away. They were to take up the ministry where they left off when Jesus was physically in their midst. Casey died living his faith. Therefore I must live on in faith because I have witnessed Christ enacted in Casey, Bruce, Geni and Travis, our extended families and the body of Christ. So when the times come that I just want to lay in my bed and not even move, God tells me it is time to take up my bed and get back to work. What a journey I have ahead.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

I found out late this afternoon that Uncle Gene is back in the hospital. Please remember to pray for peace and comfort for him and Imogene.

No comments: