Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy Saturday!

I received a phone call from Pastor Joel this morning informing me that our friend, Robert Brooks, passed away early this morning. He had been battling brain cancer for a long time. He was such a fighter and a great friend to Casey. He came to Houston once or twice to visit Casey to encourage Casey and was a mighty warrior in body and spirit. Robert was a police officer in the Duncanville police force. He had one son and is survived by his parents and a brother. While he was still able he attended Advent Lutheran Church. I hope he and Casey have found one another. Pastor and I spoke that perhaps they were fishing or playing pool. Travis said I am sure if there is beer in heaven, these two men are sharing one right now! Our prayers are with Robert’s family.

After Pastor and I finished our conversation I continued to drive and within moments Casey’s death came crashing down on me like a ton of bricks. I think I had maybe made it to about three minutes without thinking of the last moments spent with my son. And I wept the grieving tears of a mother who had just lost her son. Casey died with his family surrounding him telling him how much they loved him and that it was okay to go and be with Jesus. Robert passed into everlasting life alone. I know that God was with him when he died, but there was no family or friends so send him off. I am told that there are some people who do not want others around when they die and perhaps Robert was one of those people. My heart breaks for his family because they did not get to spend Robert’s final moments with him. I know I will treasure the last moments spent with Casey for the rest of my life.

. Isaiah 48:17 says, “I Am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”

I phoned Pastor Joel to ask if there was anything I could do for Robert’s family. Pastor told me that the services were almost ready and the food situation was well in hand. Then he told me that I should in time call Robert’s mother and offer to meet her for lunch or coffee or something and just talk. I am glad to do that but I wish I did not have the similar circumstances and same point of reference for the conversation. But, I believe that God will teach me what to say and I also believe He is teaching me to listen. Maybe the lessons in listening are preparing me to listen to this other mother with the broken heart. And maybe these lessons in listening are preparing me to listen to other families when I begin the hospital ministry to which I think I am being called. Or maybe these lessons in listening are so I can get to know the One who directs my life.

Can we stand before the Father and hear these words? Do we have enough faith to be willing to allow God to teach us and direct us and then do what He has asked? (I wish I could stand with this same authority with my first graders!) I can just picture God standing before me and in a voice filled with love and compassion saying, “Gaylene, I Am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you and I will direct you in the way you should go.”

God will stand with Robert’s family and direct them in the way they should go while He heals their broken hearts and mends their lives. What an amazing journey God has planned for us and how precious we are to Him that He would choose us to carry on His work in the kingdom here on earth.

Take care my friends and take joy in the journey. See you in worship. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: