Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy Saturday! Today Geni, Travis and I took down all of the Christmas decorations and boxed everything back up. It seems we collect more Christmas things each year because there seems to be more to put away. It is all ready to go back up into the attic and wait for another year. Our house is getting back to normal. I go back to school on Monday. It is an in-service day. There is much to do to prepare for the return of the children. Just as our family is putting away the Christmas décor, I will return my classroom to its usual look to return to the business of learning.

Matthew 2:10 says, “When they followed the star, it stopped over the house and the Wise Men rejoiced.” We live in a really old house. The wiring is a bit wonky and so you can’t run certain things together or the breakers pop. It was warm and muggy today so we turned on one of the air conditioners. I forgot that you cannot run the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time. Well, the circuit popped and I was in the dark. The kitchen, dining room and living room are all dark now. I stumble to the living room from the kitchen and turn off the now quiet air conditioner, return to the kitchen and flip on the breaker switch and now I am no longer in darkness. Now I am glad that the lights are back on and I can continue preparing dinner. I have never liked the dark. Darkness has always been a bit scary to me. When Bruce has to be gone over night I sleep with lights on.

The Wise Men walked in darkness, but then they saw a great light. They followed the light until it stopped over the house where Jesus lived. The light was the sign foretold to them where they would find the child King. The Wise Men were led by a star. When they saw Jesus they rejoiced. The light of the star led them to the light of the world.

What stars do we follow? And where do they lead? Do they lead us to the after Christmas sales? Do they lead us to the latest products guaranteed to take off pounds quickly? What illuminates our lives?

I don’t know how wise those travelers were, but I know they were seekers. They travelled so far and refused to stop until they reached their destination and completed their task of bowing to the child born in a manger. These mighty, powerful and learned men, bowed to a child. The star led them to the house, but faith walked them to the door and Jesus invited them inside.

How determined are we to seek Jesus? How willing are we to step out our own darkness and allow Jesus to illuminate us with His love and grace? How willing are we to admit our sin, our own darkness (the place where God is not) and let God shine His light on us? We are the people who walk in darkness and the great light is out there for all of us to see. God offers His light, His son, Jesus, to us so that we never have to walk in darkness.

Take joy in the journey friends and follow the stars. O come, let us adore Him. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: