Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy Monday! I went back to school, but without students today. I spent the day preparing for the children to return tomorrow.

I spent the evening with our friend Deb Koplen. She is feeling much better and the goal is for her to go home this weekend. Praise God and yea Deb!! The family is preparing for her homecoming by finding a live-in companion for her to help her with mobility and some basic household needs. We think we have found a wonderful lady who loves Deb and Miss Chips. The current plan is for Deb to go home with Home Health. Home Health will provide equipment, nursing care and physical therapy. Going the route of Home Health also affords Deb to continue to be treated for cancer. Please continue to keep Deb in your prayers as she faces this new chapter in the journey.

Proverbs 10: 19 says, “He who restrains his lips is wise.” As the medical power of attorney for Ms.Koplen I am often called upon to explain procedures, processes and options to her. When I talk to Deb, she listens and asks questions. She asks questions until she feels she has a sufficient understanding of the situation, procedure or process. But tonight after I delivered options to her concerning her care she began to talk. Many of the realities of her disease are beginning cause her to think about how she wishes to spend the rest of her life. And she also spoke of her growing up, distant relatives and how she should tell them about her situation. Should she write a letter, send an email or make a phone call? For the next 45 minutes to an hour I just listened. I learned many things about Deb that I had not known and I have known her for more than 20 years. She shed some tears as she reminisced. She laughed at funny times she has had in her life and then she wondered about how all of this cancer business had happened so fast and finally gave thanks for all of us who were acting as her family. Then she held out her hand and tearfully prayed for the both of us. Tonight it seemed to be the night to restrain myself from talking, interrupting or adding to the conversation. Quiet listening seemed to be the comfort she needed.

I feel quite sure that God would love it if I would quietly listen as attentively to Him as I listened to Deb tonight. Listening is sort of a lost art. If any of you have ever watched “The View” the panel show with Whoopie Goldberg you will notice that everybody talks and nobody listens. We get so wrapped up in making our requests known to God that we don’t always listen to Him when He is answering our requests or setting us on a new course. We sometimes miss “the call” of God in our lives because we are not quietly listening and getting to know things about God we did not know and listening for His plan for our lives. God calls us all to a time of listening not only to Him, but when we act in His name to listen to others.

Take a journey to visit someone who just needs a listening ear. Your ministry of presence and listening will be of great comfort to the one you are visiting and you will walk away blessed.

Take joy in the journey friends. Love you all, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Isn't that a wonderful feeling: the overpowering feeling that you think you should say something, but there's this undefined spirit keeping you silent? I love it when it happens to me. Wish it would happen more often.

Love,
Al