Saturday, December 6, 2008

Today was field day at Burton Hill. I will take a winter field day over a May field day any time. You can always put on more clothes. When it is hot (as it usually is in May when we normally have our field day) you can’t really take them off! Our theme was the Olympics. Everyone had a great time.

Mom update; I spoke with Daddy this afternoon and Mom is doing better. She is still on oxygen and they are adjusting her medications. She will have to take some sort of medication to keep the fluid buildup at bay when she goes home. I am not sure when she will go home. Bruce, Geni and I are going to Sherman tomorrow to see her. I plan to study in the car.

Deb Koplen update: she stayed confused most of the day. The Doc is trying to adjust her pain medications to find the point of making her comfortable without making her loopy. Please continue to pray. Thank you, mighty prayer warriors.

1 John 3:23 says, “This is what God commands…that we love each other.” When I came upon this verse it caused me to read the entire chapter. Wow!! There is so much in this chapter. Take a few minutes and read Chapter 3 of 1 John. It really tells us about the love of God. To sum up the chapter it pretty well says that the only reason we have the power to love is because He loved us first and modeled His love for us through the life and death of Jesus.

Do you have people in your life whom you have trouble loving? I don’t have too many, but there are a few. After reading this chapter this is what I was called to remember. First, God loves all of us so much that He calls us His children; even the ones who don’t love Him or show love to others. Second, sin separates us from God. When we sin we do not show love, but God still loves us. Third, God came to earth in the form of Jesus to destroy the work of Satan. The work of Satan is separation and sin. And fourth, if I am to declare myself a child of God, I must learn to love all of His children, for we are family. I don’t have to like what they do, but God commands me to love them. God hates the sin but loves the sinner. Praise God!! That means God loves me - sinner that I am. When I find it hard to love someone for whatever reason then I ask God to love them for me and then show me the way to love them. If I don’t love the unlovely, unlovable ones then I am in a sinful relationship with the One who loves me most and I am separated from the King of Love. Lousy place to be!! The ones we find most difficult to love are the ones who are in need of our forgiveness and in need of God’s love.

The great commandment says that we are to love the Lord, our God, with all our heart, mind, soul and strength and our neighbor as ourself. And again in 1 John 3: 23 tells us “This is what the Lord commands…that we love each other.” He does not ask us to love or make suggestion, or casual request. He commands us to love each other. Remember the power to love never begins with us; it begins with God loving us first. When we begin loving each other as He has commanded in His word we become more like Him. Just like any good Father, He wants us to be more like Him. You know that whole image of God thing?

As we make this journey together let us walk together in love and gather others with us and love them with the love of God. Our orders are cut. The King has spoken!

Take joy in the journey. Love you all so much, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

WOW! That was beautiful. I mean it! Not saying nice things just to be nice; this one really struck a chord.

"Lord, love that person for me and show me how to do the same." I need this tattooed on my arm or someplace where I can see it all the time.

Remember that kids song?

We love [clap clap] because He first loved us
We love [clap clap] because He first loved us
We love [clap clap]
We love [clap clap]
We love [clap clap]
Because He first [clap] loved [clap] us [clap clap]

Please let Deb know that she is in my prayers. Also, when the doctor finds the right medicine, could you ask the doctor for the name of that medicine? I'd love something that would make me feel comfortable without making me loopy. I'm loopy enough as it is! :-)

Love,
Al