Friday, December 5, 2008

Prayer alert: I received a phone call from my Daddy this morning around 7:00. He took my Mom to the hospital at around 2:30 am. She had a bout with Congestive Heart Failure. She was diagnosed with CHF several years ago and has been taking medicine for it, but evidently it was time to fine-tune her meds. She is doing okay right now. She is receiving Lasix and some oxygen. She is in Wilson N. Jones Hospital in Sherman, Texas.

Deb Koplen update: She was taken by ambulance to the Arlington Cancer Center today to receive radiation on her back. I was unable to visit her today so I am not sure how she has responded to the radiation treatment. Doc was hopeful that radiating her back would relieve some of her pain. I will update as soon as I visit her tomorrow.
Psalm 85: 10 says, “Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet and righteousness and peace will kiss each other.’’ I have heard and read about the “trustworthiness” of God twice today. I have begun to think that maybe I am supposed to ponder this attribute of God. I have always believed that God’s faithfulness to us was far greater than our faithfulness to Him.

Over Thanksgiving we met our family in Allen, Texas. Upon our arrival we greeted each other with hugs and kisses. And as each different branch of the family arrived more hugs and kisses were given and received. As I read this verse and the meditation that was written about it I was reminded of not only the family God gave me to raise, but the family that raised me. As in all families there are always disagreements, but even when we disagree (which is rare) we are fiercely faithful and loyal to each other and passionate about being a family. Love has always been our banner. Now that our numbers are decreased by one, the strong bond of love is greater than ever. The loss of one so loved has caused us to remember how precious, fleeting and fragile life can be, but the bond of a family which has always had a faith has near unbreakable bonds.

I was raised with unconditional love. My Mom and Dad have unconditional love for each other and they raised my brother and me with the same love. The only way to have love like that God-like love is from faith and a relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Steadfastness and faithfulness were not only taught in my home but practiced and modeled every day of my life. Those qualities only come from a daily walk with the One who remains steadfast, faithful and trustworthy to us no matter what we do or how much we mess up or how far away we turn away. God is always there to welcome us back not counting the cost or throwing it back in our face. It is sort of like when one of the kids stayed out past curfew without calling to let us know why. They knew that one of us would be waiting when they got home with our hand out waiting to receive their car keys and receive disciplinary action. As much as they hated coming home and facing the relinquishing of their most prized possession, their source of independence; they also took comfort that one of us would be there with our hand out to receive those keys. They knew that even though discipline was a surety, so was forgiveness and love that never changes. The keys would be returned in due time. But forgiveness was instant.

Every once in a while we all have to turn over our car keys over to God. The trustworthiness of God is knowing that our forgiveness is instant and He forgets our missed curfews and will allow us to drive once again.

Take joy in the journey. Love you all and say a prayer for Mom. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: