Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Happy Tuesday!! Today went infinitely better than yesterday. I had the “come to Jesus” meeting with the children in my class. They behaved better, listened more and talked less today. That meeting may have to happen on a regular basis for the next three weeks.

Tonight was my last theology class for the semester. I have a final paper and a final test to take between now and the 16th. I began to work on the final review tonight. It has been a wonderful semester. Our class has been so pleased with our professor that we are all staying together and have all enrolled in his class for next semester.
Deb Koplen update. Deb received chemotherapy today. Her spirits were good and time will tell how she responds. She has talked of donating her hair to the Locks of Love program. The program makes wigs out of human hair for children who have cancer. How cool is that! Deb’s hair is red with a bit of gray thrown in for good measure.

2 Peter 3:18 says, “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” I work with an organization that is an off shoot of the Lutheran Via de Cristo for youth. The youth version is called Happening. Happening is a three day spiritual renewal weekend for youth ages 15-18. During the weekend there are talks given by youth and spiritual directors. The talks are on Christian Action, Confession, Faith, Mask, Grace, Jesus Christ and Piety. The young people who attend this weekend become immersed in the love, forgiveness, grace and knowledge of Jesus.

The Observing Rector, a youth leader, gives the talk on piety. Living a life in piety is studying the Word, prayer, worship, service and fellowship. I love listening to these amazing young people talk about how Christ is working in their lives at the ripe old age of 16 or 17. How wise these children of God are and how much further along they are than I was at their age. These young people, while they continue to grow in wisdom and knowledge of Jesus Christ, find time to lead others their own age.

Are we too old to continue to grow in the knowledge and wisdom of God through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? God loves us just as we are, but He loves us too much to leave us where we are. He wants us to grow in His knowledge and in His grace. Growing on our part takes work. God wants us to be more like Him. We are made in the image of God. I must admit that the image some may see in me is a bit fuzzy at times, but when I set my priorities to life - a life in piety - and make those priorities a habit, then I see God more clearly and just maybe others see God more clearly in me.

Have we reached a level of spiritual maturity where we are comfortable and feel we have arrived? Or do we need to still exercise and become stronger? Perhaps a new exercise routine is in order. Let us examine our life in piety. What parts are toned and what parts are flabby? Which parts of our life in piety need attention most or do we need a general overhaul? Personally I began with prayer and reading the Bible daily. Which part will you begin with first?

During this season of Advent and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season as the gifts seem to grow under our trees, let us also grow in the likeness of Christ by reading His Word, prayer, service, worship and fellowship. And, like Jesus, we will grow in wisdom, knowledge and the grace of the Father.

Take joy in the journey. Love you, Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

1 comment:

Al Rearick said...

Ah, to be a first grader at Christmas-time again! The sights, the sounds, listening to Mom's old Christmas records, looking forward to driving to Chicago to visit Gramma & Grampa for a white Christmas, driving my first-grade teacher up a wall on a daily basis.... well, I did that anyway, regardless of the season! Heck, I even miss the "come to Jesus" meetings (in this case, Jesus was Mr. Day!).

Would you believe that we go to church with a survivor.... er, I mean former teacher of mine? JoAnn Jeske was not only my 2nd-grade math teacher, she was also my 3rd-grade homeroom teacher! Talk about a glutton for punishment! To this day, it amazes me that she didn't run screaming from Advent when my family joined all those years ago!

Seriously, though, she was always one of my favorite teachers because she loved us kids. She was patient and kind, yet strict. She didn't put up with any BS, but she taught me that it was never the end of the world whenever I messed up, which was often. (If my memory serves me correctly, she's the only teacher who ever made me cry. I'll tell you that story next time we have time to talk)

Thanks again for another challenging devotional. Complacency is a feeling I fight on a regular basis. Especially where seminary is concerned. More on THAT the next time we talk.

I hope that's tonight, and I hope it's both of y'all; hopefully Bruce is feeling better. See y'all then, I hope.

Love,
Al