Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas Day to you all! May the birth of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ bring you great joy today and in the days to come.

I was the first one up this morning. I prepared a fresh coffee cake, scrambled eggs and sausage and then awakened the family. We opened our gifts, ate and readied ourselves for the trip to Mom and Dad’s.

Our day was spent with Mom, Dad, Ken, Sheena and the girls and my Uncle Gene and Aunt Imogene (when I was little I always thought that was so cool how they did that with their names.) We had a delicious lunch and a wonderful time together. After lunch we played bingo. It has become our tradition to play games after Christmas lunch and we had a great time. I must admit that there was a conspicuous absence of Casey. My heart missed him so much today.

John 1: 14 says, “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.” There were times today in which I felt I was just going through the motions of “doing” Christmas. I always love being with my family. I love seeing my parents, brother and his family and extended family. I love my own family so much and treasure every moment I am allowed to spend with them. I love the cooking. I love the wrapping. I love the music and the movies. And yet this year my heart was sad.

God did not “do” Christmas. He became Christmas. He became the Word made flesh and then he dwelt among us. He did not arrive in this world in a fancy hospital, or even a nice warm home, but in a lowly manger. Born in lowly surroundings and visited by humble shepherds. Jesus, His mother and father were not surrounded by royalty or the rich, but were visited by a bunch of shepherds. And God knew that even on this most blessed and sacred of nights that all roads now lead to the cross.

I praise God that He did not and does not go through the motions of loving us. God does not “do” love. God is love. God sent this precious child so that we could sing tidings of great joy. For unto us was born a savior, a savior who would bring light into the hearts of those who were walking in darkness.

Everyone experiences loss at some time or another. I am assured that God is with us in our sorrows and in our joys. God, through His Son, Jesus, surrounds us with His love and tender mercies all of the time. I miss Casey sometimes so much that it almost takes my skin off. But I know that the same God in whom Casey sees face to face is the same God who loves us enough to send Jesus to show how much He loves us.

Merry Christmas, my dear friends. I love you all.

Take joy in the journey. Bruce, Gaylene, Geni and Travis.

PS We are leaving for Memphis, Tennessee in the morning and will be back on Monday. We are going to visit Bruce’s brother, Dale, and his family. Pray travel mercy for us. Geni will be travelling with us and Travis will remain here as he has to work. We will miss Travis on this trip. My next writings will be from Memphis. Have a great week. Take care as you hit the mall and Wal-Mart for the great sales and returns.

Love you, Gaylene.

Gcapplenotes@aol.com

I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am moved only by what I believe and I believe God.

No comments: